2. Bai

The bus made its way to the Majiwada Bus Stop from where it was a 500m walk to home. It seems like the heat has just skyrocketed, because Kunal is sweating more than ever. But maybe, it's not because of the heat.

If he were this demented, then why did he opt for taking the packet in the first place? Peer pressure maybe. Or maybe that's just how everyone becomes popular these days. You hit some bong in some pub, and then you meet some like minded people. Maybe even a hot chick who magically falls for you. Kunal has already been in a relationship. But things didn't go well to be honest. Getting dumped for a junior is painful indeed. And the more I dwell on his life, the more tragic it gets.

He rings the doorbell, one too many times. Poonam, the housemaid opens the door hurriedly, "Arey baba, you are home." She says delightfully. "I was just making some parathas for you. What took you so long?" . "Traffic kaki" Kunal sighs. "I am not that hungry right now. I will probably just head for a bath. Cover those parathas, I will eat them afterwards."

Kunal's apartment has got this really middle class vibe to it, even though the society he lives in is really posh. Just the most generic interior with dark grey PoP. A cheap looking dining table next to the kitchen. The kitchen is refreshingly modular with a lot of fancy cupboards. And just above the dining table on the wall, there hangs a frame of his mother, garlanded with flowers. Kunal was mere 10 when his mother left him for afterlife. Since then his dad broke. He limited his interactions with everyone. He is still able to provide for his family like every ideal man, but he never seemed to get over the tragedy. He is depressed enough to not show it to the outer world. Kunal on the other hand adapted. Obviously he has changed a lot since then, but most of that is just adolescence.

"When did papa leave?" Kunal asks almost as if he is prying. 'The usual time only.' Poonam replies. He then walks past Poonam to his study room and closes the door shut. Poonam looks at him for a long slow 10 seconds, only to get distracted by the smell of burnt parathas.

Kunal cautiously unzips the bag and takes the packet out."I am going baba, eat the parathas while they are still hot." Poonam says in a particularly high pitched voice. "Yes alright" Kunal Hollers.
He tears the small packet, takes out the Outontrip Rolling Paper from his bag, and starts rolling it. I must say not the best roll ever, but he came pretty close for a debutant.

As he fires a matchstick the door opens swiftly and there she is, Poonam. A joint in his mouth and a burning matchstick in his hand, he is caught red-handed. One outta lock the doors man, but he was in the mindset that the maid had already left.

"Baba! What are you up to?!" Poonam lashes out.