Chapter One: Fallen

Two hundred and seven. That's how many people died during the battle for Trost. There are two hundred and seven people's bodies burning before me in a bright blaze of red, smoke, and heat. So much heat that I want walk away from this tragedy and go home. But I can't walk away, and I can't go home, because I am in the Survey Corps. And I was given the command to watch over the bonfire until all of the soldiers have left.

What hurts the most about this, is that half of the soldiers here are members of the 104th trainee corps. They just graduated a couple of nights ago, and they already faced the terror of fighting the titans. If I could, I'd kill all the titans myself and keep everyone within the walls safe. But I know that's impossible. Even Captain Levi cant kill every Titan roaming this world. What hurts is that I joined the corps to create a brighter future for my little brother, and with each passing day I realize that that dream isn't possible.

My mom and brother are the reasons why I fight so hard. Why I haven't given up yet. I promised my brother I would return for him.

"You're going to come back, right? You're not going to die out there like dad did, right, Katia?" He told me the day u left. I pulled him in for a hug.

"Of course I'm going to come back. You're not getting rid of me this easily." And he laughed lightly through his tears. My mom came up to us both and we shared a hug, the three of us. That was the last time I saw my family. That was about six years ago. I was twelve, my brother was ten. My mother, fragile. My family needs me. And for them, I won't stop fighting the titans. I won't die until I know they are as safe as they can possibly be in this cruel world.

I clench my fist by my side. There are trainees standing next to me, crying over the loss of their fallen comrades. Their friends. A couple of hours pass by. Most of the crowd has dispersed, but a couple still remain. The fire still burns strong. The heat and brightness burns my eyes, and a couple of minutes later, I can't help but let the tears fall freely from my eyes. I don't bother wiping them away. I keep as straight a face as I can and hold my position.

Not five minutes later, all of the soldiers have left, except one. He's been standing in the same position for almost an hour, most likely holding everything he's feeling in, like I am. I try as hard as I can to keep myself from feeling, but emotions are sadly one of those things I can't control. I walk over to him.

"Hey," I say. "It's getting late, you should probably head back to your dorm." I add a light smile so my words wouldn't sound as harsh as they did. He looks at me, and seems to process his surroundings before he responds.

"Sorry," he mumbles. "Can I just stay a little longer, if it's possible. Please."

I nod my head. "I don't have a problem with you staying. I'll stay with you so nobody will give you trouble."

He turns back to the fire. "Thanks."

The boy sits down, as close to the flames as he can, and buries his face in his hands. I can make out his choked sobs through the crackling flames. My heart aches for him. For everyone that is probably crying themselves to sleep. I sit down next to him.

"I'm sorry this happened to all of you. You weren't supposed to face the titans just yet." I say in a soft whisper.

"It's not you're fault. You don't have to apologize. No one does." He clears his throat. "You don't have to wait for me. I won't be long."

"I don't mind. If you want to be alone just tell me, I won't get mad or anything. I understand exactly how you feel."

"No, I don't mind. I don't usually open up, I guess I'm just not used to having actual conversations with people." He smiles through a hurt face.

"Well in that case, I'm Katia."

"Jean."

We sit in silence for a couple of minutes. It wasn't awkward, though. It was a needed silence. Finally, Jean speaks again.

"Did you loose someone during this fight too?"

"No. No nobody is knew this time. But I lost a close friend during the first expedition I went on when I joined the corps. And I cried for weeks, because no one was there to comfort me. I'm not very good at making friends, and he was the only one I had."

"I get you. I just realized today that I've been a complete jerk to all of the people around me. And the one person who stuck by me no matter what I did or said is gone."

I place a hand on his shoulder. "That's the thing about being a soldier. Not only do you have to fight those monsters, but you also have to fight reality. And reality is a battle you can't win."

I turn to look at Jean. He's staring at me intently, and I laugh. "Did I say something weird?"

"No," he quickly looks away, focusing on the fire once again. "It's just...you look and sound like-"

"BODT!" A voice yells behind us. I stumble as I stand up and salute the Captain.

"Captain Levi!"

"It's late. Head back to quarters. And you, trainee, you should head out too. You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow." Jean is still sitting on the ground. His eyes are wide and focused on me once again, like he's seen a ghost. I don't blame him, Levi scared me the first times I made contact with him too. Captain Levi walks away. I start following behind him, but before that I look to Jean.

"Sorry," I say. "It was nice meeting you, Jean." And then I turn and run to catch up with my captain, leaving Jean still sitting next to the bonfire.