Chapter Two: Angels

I sit across from Squad leader Hanji at the long meeting table. I shouldn't be at these meetings, but Levi lets me be here. And it's not like I say anything, I mean I give my opinion on situations sometimes, but I usually stay quiet and listen. Levi says I could be a good squad leader in the near future.

I am the only one in my class to rank top ten and join the Survey Corps. The other nine joined the Military Police. At first, all I thought about was my family. While I was in the trainee corps, I started thinking about my own safety. But I would push that thought away the moment I realized that I wasn't there for myself. I was there for mom and Marco, and the rest of the people inside the walls. I guess Captain Levi thought I was either a complete idiot, or an actual brave soldier. Ever since I joined the Corps, he's guided me, almost like an older brother.

"You became a fighter even before you decided to become one. That's what makes you strong, you underestimate yourself, just like everyone here. You let your heart choose, rather than your logic. But you also think of the reality you're facing. That's what makes you a good leader." Those were his words the first day he brought me to the meet. I was shocked, of course. Being called a leader by humanity's strongest soldier was more that an honor. Ever since, he brings me along.

"So, about that Titan boy..." Hanji begins, leaning her elbows on the table. Commander Erwin sits at the end of the long table, looking from soldier to soldier. Processing all that's happened over the last couple of days. Not only were we able to catch two titans, but apparently theres a boy who has the ability to turn into a Titan. "I say we-"

"Hanji, please." Erwin interrupts. "First we have to figure out a way to get him in our possession without having them kill him."

"Don't worry about that." Levi says, taking a sip of tea or something from a small teacup. "I'll take matters into my own hands during the trial."

Petra speaks up next. I've always liked Petra. She's really sweet, but she's not afraid to get her hands dirty if she has to. "What are you planning to do, Levi? We can't just say he's a good kid. It's going to be hard to get them to believe that."

"Don't worry about it. Like I said, I can handle it." Levi says.

Petra gives a small nod, and Hanji continues. "Well, what about those two titans we have in our yard?"

"First of all," Erwin goes on. "We have to keep them secured full watch. We can't take any risks. Katia," I jump lightly in my chair.

"Y-yes sir?"

"Can you handle leading a small squad over the next couple of nights? You'll be in charge of watching the titans." My heart is pounding heavily against my chest. Never have I been asked to lead a squad of any kind.

I nod. "Yes sir. Of course I can." He gives me a light nod in response.

"It's settled then. Levi, can I have a word with you, alone?" Erwin stands from his chair, followed by Levi, and begins walking out the door. "You're dismissed. That's all for today."

I'm about to stand when Hanji grabs my arm and pulls me out the door. "Come on! We have research to do!"

We basically run to the yard behind our headquarters. I pull my hood close over my head. It's a cold night. I'd do anything to be in bed tonight, but I was given an order, and I have to follow it. When we reach the two titans, Hanji runs to them, giggling.

"Look at how beautiful you are! How do you feel? Cold? Hot? Are you hungry?" She walks towards one of the titans, and it's about to take a bite out of her when she jumps out of the way.

"Hanji! Be careful!" I scream at her, staying as close as I can to her without putting myself in a path towards death. In this case, those titans' mouths.