Story 9

They say there's a Sage living in the bamboo forest

They say, when all seem lost, call out for the White Gentleman, and you might just find salvation.

They say to shed no blood, hunt no souls in that forest, or you would receive a luck so bad, even your ancestors would feel it.

~***~

Jade Flute would dearly love to meet all of these "They"s that said all of those things.

Just how the heck did humans managed to found out his favorite patch of Mortal Realm?!?

And who gave them permission to settle a community so damn close to his domain?!?

He had been sure that he had already placed a tightly weaved Grace on the surrounding area. No human should've been remotely near the site! They are supposed to feel the hallowed grounds and scurried away! Like every other mortal souls!

And now he's saddled with the lamentable fate of looking after all these mortals. On the technicality of them residing in his sphere of influence.

Sighs.

If he knew that this would be the outcome, he wouldn't have sneaked out of the Heavenly Realm.

And now he's stuck here, until the next sentinel rotation, before he could safely sneaked back in.

And considering the time difference between the two Realms and the long shifts held by those tasked as the Watching Benevolences, he's looking at more than 100 years of mortal time as the inadvertent local deity to the village and it's surrounding community.

He felt like crying.

~***~

Jade Reed, watching his handiwork in effect, laughed cynically at his brother

Serves him right!

Always wanting to evade his responsibilities, and handing it over to each and every one of his siblings, instead of actually getting down and doing it himself.

See how he likes it, now that there's no one else to shoulder the burden.

Dusting himself off from his  perch on the flowering magnolia tree, Jade Reed returned to the Heavenly Realm, his prank completed.