Chapter 14

{Ryan} 

     "Are you alright Payne? Can you feel anything?" I ask as I start to remove the bandages from his body. "I'm fine, but I can't feel anything." Payne replies and I get the bandages off. "How about this?" I ask as I squeeze his big toe. He screams and jumps up from his sitting position into a laying one. "I'm guessing that you could feel that." I reply as Robert and Bryan run into the room. "What happened to him?!" Robert asks as he looks at Payne's painful expression. "I was just trying to see if his nervous system was still working. Good news that it is." I reply as they help Payne sit up the right way that was comfortable. 

     I pull out my phone and text my dad. "Okay, my dad will be here in a few minutes." I comment as I check for signs of infection among other things. "I'm not going to have to loose an arm, right?" Payne asks and I laugh and shake my head. "Nope, there isn't any sign of infection so your arms and legs are going to be fine." I reply as I busy myself with getting more bandages and things. "Bryan and Robert will you help get Payne up? I need him to start walking to make to sure that his motor skills are functional." I tell them and they nod their heads as they slowly help Payne get to his feet. 

     Payne manages to walk around the room by himself for a few minutes. "Do you think that you could try to grab something from the counter or table top Payne?" I ask as I put the sheets that he was lying on inside of the washing machine. Payne reaches to grab a shirt from the counter and only winces a little. "How bad does it hurt on a scale of 1-10 (one to ten)?" I ask and he shrugs with little difficulty. "About a 2 (two)." He replies and I nod my head before my phones notifies me that I have a text message. "That's my dad. I need one of you to buzz him in." I say as I look at Robert and he nods his head before he leaves the room. 

     "So tell me Ryan....do I still look as hot as ever?" He asks and I laugh as I nod my head. "Of course you do. Doesn't he Bryan?" I tell him as I look at Bryan for confirmation. Bryan nods his head and smiles. "You look just as good as ever." Bryan tells Payne and he smiles and sits on the bed gritting his teeth in pain. "Do you want some painkillers?" I ask Payne as I walk towards the cabinet. "Only if you're giving them out." He says as I hand him two painkillers and a cup of water. He takes the pills and smiles. "Thank you. My throat was killing me." He says and I smile and nod my head. "No problem Payne," I reply and Bryan shake his head. "No Ryan. Thank you for everything that you've done for me and the rest of us. We really do owe you." He says and I blush and nod my head. "No problem. I'd do anything for you guys." I say and they both smile and nod their heads. 

     "Ryan? Ryan where are you?" I hear my dad call from the end of the hall. I step out of the door and wave for my dad who quickly runs over to me. "Have you heard anything from your mother?" He asks and I shake my head. "No sir. I don't talk to her unless I have to." I reply and he sighs. "I know that she's not your favorite person in the world, but she is your mother. Will you please go and talk to her while I look after Payne?" My dad asks and I nod my head. "Yes sir." I reply and look at Bryan who nods his head. "Sure. You can go put on some clothes while I get the car started." Bryan says and we both leave the room. I put on one of Bryan's sweaters and a pair of sleeping tights while Bryan leaves the house. 

     "Are you sure that this is the best idea?" Bryan says as I get into the car. "In all honesty, no, not in the slightest, but my dad asked me to so we're going to see her." I tell him as I close the car door and buckle my seat. "I just don't want you to get hurt, okay?" He says and starts to drive toward the gate. "I know. Which is why I'm bringing you along with me. Besides, my mom wouldn't be dumb enough to hit me while you're there." I tell him as I hold his hand that's on my thigh. "I know what I'm doing, Bryan. My mom's not so bad....she just sleeps with a lot of people." I continue and he laughs. "That is a problem all together, Ryan." He says and I shrug my shoulders. "She could've been a lot worse to me growing up." I tell him and he reluctantly nods his head. "You make a point, but please don't go somewhere where I'm not." He says and I nod my head. "Deal, but only if we can get something to eat after we see her." I say and he laughs as he nods his head. "Anything for you princess." He replies. 

     We get to my mom's house as we get out of the car. "Why are all the lights out?" I ask as we get closer to the door. "Maybe she's asleep." Bryan guesses and I shake my head. "That's not the reason. Ever since I could remember, my mom always leaves one light on in the house because she's superstitious." I say as I pull the door open. I walk in and Bryan holds onto one of my hands tightly. "Does she leave the house often...?" Bryan says and I shake my head. "Nu uh. If she ever wanted to sleep with a guy she'd bring them home." I reply and run towards her bedroom. I pull the door open and see my mom laying face first on the bed. "Call 9-1-1." I tell Bryan as I run over to my mom and check her pulse. Bryan calls the number and gives the dispatcher my address.