Nine Years Later

Nine years later, I'm roaming the streets of San Francisco, California. I'm a perfect high school student by day and a fierce hunter by night. My hunting strategy has been always the same and never failed. I targeted the ones who were alone. Someone with no loved ones and would never be missed. The ones who were the same as me.

Now that I've graduated, I turn all my time on hunting. I feed and I feed. Feeding all my pain and hunger. Even though they never go away. It makes me want to have more. Never wanting to stop.

I sleep in the streets. Im homeless, but not starving. I used the same duffle bag that I had those nine years ago as a pillow although I never sleep. Instead I read the old note I had found with the rosary, thinking about where my grandmother could be. I stare at the rosary all night. I still haven't put it on, I assured myself that I can control myself fine.

I need a job. I'm tired of sleeping on the streets. Hey, im still half human. I decided that it was time to do something with my so-called "life."

I started walking along the sidewalk until I come across a small restaurant called "Patt's Grill". I walk inside to the counter and wait for someone to "be at my service".

I become aware of my surroundings. people chatting away, steam or smoke jumps into the air every ten seconds, and the sweet scent of buttered rolls and blood rolling into my nose.

Then a woman walks up to the counter. Her skin pale white, it almost blended in with her dazzling white teeth. Her curly blonde hair pinned into a curly bun. She's gorgeous as far as im concerned.

"May I help you?" she asks. Her voice sounds sweet and soft.

"Yes, are you hiring?" I ask.

"As a matter of fact, we are. Would you like an application?"

I nod and she walks off. She soon returns with an application form and ink pen. "Here you go. By the way, I'm Julie and the manager." she says.

"Thank you, it's nice to meet you." I say. Then my stomach grumbles loud enough for her to hear. The scent of food wasn't making it any better.

"You know if you're hungry, you're welcome to have anything on the buffet." she says.

"But I don't have any money." I moan.

she waves her hands. "Don't worry about it. It's on me."

"Really?" I ask and she nods.

"Thank you. I will have this filled out any minute." I tell her. "I will come see you after you've finished eating."

she says, walking away.

I slowly walk towards the plates and pick one up. To be honest, I haven't eaten human food in nine years so I don't know where to start. I just threw the stuff that smelled really good onto my plate.

After putting a mountain of food on my plate, I sit down at a table and dig in.

I have forgotten how good this type of food was.

After I was done, I burped loudly then pushed my plate of what was now bones and leftovers aside. I fill the rest of my application out. When I was done, it seemed like Julie sensed it because she stood before me before I could put my pen down.

"How was everything?" she asks.

"I never had anything like it." I smile at my little pun. She sits across from me and I hand her the application. she begins to read it.

"This looks really good actually, Crystal?" she says. I nod. I'm actually really nervous. I dive my sweaty hands into my lap and clenched my jaw to keep my fangs from chattering.

"Im going to ask one question." she finally says. "Are you a vampire? I can sense it." she asks. I freeze, I didn't know how to answer that question or even if should. Then I think of something. "Are you?" I ask. she looks to her left then her right then makes one, simple nod. A little relieved to the fact. "Then, im only half." I tell her. "Where's your rosary?" she asks. "Duffelbag. Where's yours?" She pulls out her rosary from under her shirt.

Her rosary is different from mine. it's silver with engravements that look like flower patterns and the gem was a huge oval Aquamarine in it's center.

"That's all I wanted to ask. Now you're hired." She says. I look at her in shock. Am I missing something? Isn't there suppose to be an interview, a background check? Something?

"Uh. Uh thank you." I say still a little shocked. "When do I start?"

"Right now. You can change in the back." she says handing me a packaged waitress uniform. I take it from her."Okay~?" I say I slowly turn and walk to the bathroom. Shocked and confused by what just happened.

I change then go right to work. Julie couched me when I had everything under control. I worked off only the tiniest bit of energy.

When the night was over. I earned $300 in tips. Julie and I were the last ones out of the building. "See you tomorrow, Crystal! Great job tonight!" She says. I wave and sit on the curb. Ten minutes later, she walks back to me. "Don't you a place to stay?" she asks. I just shake my head. "Come live with me." she says.

"Oh no, you've been kind enough. I shouldn't.."

"As your boss, I order you to come live with me." she smiles.

I get up and squeeze her."Thank you." I say.

For the first time in years. I had somebody to call a friend. I finally wasn't alone.