Chapter 3

Jimin could feel a bead of sweat running down his back. It felt like someone was behind him. Jimin couldn't move. He heard footsteps getting closer from behind him. He couldn't get up from his seat on the couch.

Jimin felt suffocated as the footsteps got closer. The closer the footsteps, the harder it got for him to breathe. He shut his eyes tight and held his hands in a fist. One more footstep and the person was right behind him. Jimin lost all his ability to breathe and that's when he opened his eyes wide...

Nothing.

There was nothing. He could breathe again. In fact, he was panting. His hands were still in fists and he released his fists to see that his palms were sweating. He looked around and everything was fine.

It was a Saturday and Jimin had the day off on Saturdays unless there was a patient who had an appointment on that day. Otherwise, the clinic was not open.

He just sat down on the couch after having his breakfast and had another hallucination.

This has been happening for a long time.

Jimin got these hallucinations when he was alone or not distracted with any work. He hated the hallucinations. They have been getting worse as the years went by. Jimin could physically feel the pain during his hallucinations.

Jimin knew it was a mental disorder but he never bothered. He didn't have the time to take care of himself and he didn't want to. He just wanted to live a normal life and make sure that he continued his profession as a psychiatric nurse.

He leaned back on the couch and closed his eyes as he tried to even out his breathing.

He sighed and switched on the TV.

"The authorities say that its most likely an accident after investigating the crime scene but the locals still believe that the joker has a part in this death."

Jimin increased the volume of the TV when one of the officials was speaking.

"After going through Mr. Lee's records, it is less likely that this was a murder."

A picture of the victim was displayed on the screen right after the statement given by the official. Jimin looked at the picture carefully and recognized the person almost immediately. 

Lee Chanwoo had been one of the first patients at the clinic according to the doctor. After Jimin had been appointed, Chanwoo had come to the clinic once. Jimin could remember light brown eyes and dark circles surrounding it. The man still had a smile on his face while speaking with Jimin.  

"The medical records of the victim has revealed that he had been suffering from severe depression and due to this he didn't have many companions. The local sheriff and detective say that there is possibly no enemies that could have done this."

The crime scene was shown again and the official that gave the statement before appeared on the screen. 

"Why do you think that this was an accident?" The reporter asked the official. 

"The victim had bleeding wrists which caused him to pass out. The accident happened at around 10pm. The person who drove the car may not have seen the victim while driving." 

"Do you think its the joker?"

"Its been a while since a crime has happened involving the Joker. We have to look into the case and find more evidence before declaring it a murder. As of now, the chances are that it was an accident and the officers are trying to find the driver." 

The official walked away after saying this. Advertisements started playing on the screen and Jimin switched off the TV. 

It was pretty obvious according to the news that the joker was a serial killer. Jimin had not heard of his name even once after arriving in this town. It was strange. 

What if it was the joker who committed the murder? What if he is looking for his next victim? 

Jimin suddenly broke out in cold sweat. His breathing got heavier and he leaned forward trying to get a hold of his breath. 

He closed his eyes and counted as he drew each breath in. His breathing went back to normal again and he opened his eyes. He ran his fingers through his hair, pushing it back. 

Jimin hated being at home alone. He was always paranoid and kept having hallucinations. It was almost impossible to control his thoughts and he hated that. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------