Chapter Four: Kryptonite

Perry

Present Day...

I left work early today. Not like it isn't something I haven't done before, but I can't concentrate. Leaving things like that with Tess the other day has been eating at me like crazy. I'm not usually the type of guy to run from my problems, but this one is different. I know you're not supposed to blame yourself for the stupid shit you get into when you are teenagers, but for us, it carried into adulthood.

I'm sulking away on my chair when there's a knock on my door. With a sigh, I push myself up and prepare for the worst. Visitors haven't exactly been friendly lately. When I see my mom's warm smile, I smile back. Thank God.

I pull the door open and she hugs me. Now, for most families this may seem normal, but then again-not all families have an estranged felon living in the apartment above the garage.

I hug her back. "You miss me or something?" I joke into her ear.

She pulls back and slaps me lightly in the chest. "Can't a mother check on her son from time to time." She steps in and immediately begins picking up clothes sprung around the room. "Even if he is grown." She turns back to me. "You do know how to do laundry right?"

I laugh. "Yeah, I'm a little behind I guess."

She grabs a laundry basket from the corner and continues around the small apartment until it's filled to the hilt.

"Mom, did you have something you needed to tell me or are you just here to do my laundry?"

I itch to grab the cigarette perched on top my ear, but I don't. I don't need that lecture along with whatever one is coming.

She sets the basket down by the front door and brushes her caramel, brown hair from her face. My little sister, Mack looks so much like her, and she has her heart too.

"Perry, I would like you to come down and have dinner with us more often. It would be nice for you and father to talk more."

My eyes roll to the heavens. "Be serious, mom. I work with him eight hours a day, sometimes more, shouldn't that be enough?"

Her eyes turn to the floor for a moment and I already feel like a dick. She's been trying so hard to get us to find some common ground, but what she doesn't realize is that we never had any. It's always been difficult between us, which was only amplified by my time in the pen.

I place my hand on her shoulder. "Hey, what are you making?"

This causes her lips to turn up. "Chicken and potatoes. Your favorite."

I hold my hand over my heart. "You know just how to get me in the feels."

"You'll come, really?"

Her eyes are now hopeful and I lean down and kiss her cheek. "I wouldn't miss it."

With a new spring in her step she grabs my laundry and practically skips down the stairs. Now if only my dad would have the same reaction.

***

I spend the rest of the evening involved in a pretty serious game of Madden. The next time I look at the clock it's almost six. Running back to my bedroom I grab the only clean pair of jeans I have and a fitted black tee. I need to go shopping soon. The only two looks I have are everyday thug or court appearance. I need some everyday casual. With a final glance in the mirror I decide I look respectable enough to have dinner with my parents.