Final Chapter: The Truth about the Rainbow Plague

Jonas ran out the cave and fell on his knees, kissing the grass nonstop.

"I don't care that this is disgusting!" He cried with joy. "I'm so f***ing glad to be out of the cave!!"

I giggled as he started making a "grass angel" face down. Humans are certainly the most interesting species I know. Especially Jonas.

And, as for where we are now, we found ourselves in a very, very beautiful, yet small forest. So, I take it the Exterminators never found this place. But, what really caught my eye is that there are animals in this forest. LIVING animals. Wolves. Foxes. Coyotes. Deer. Rabbits. They're all okay.

"What IS this place?!" Jonas exclaimed in awe as he got up and wiped the dirt off his clothes. "Is this same sort of hideout for all the animals who don't wanna face the Exterminators??"

"Correct, human." A male voice said.

Jonas and I looked down and saw a normal looking fox (unlike me because I'm a hybrid of a fox and wolf and I happen to have a human body).

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Name's Red Fang." The fox said. "I'm the 'supervisor' of this here hideout. We've been hiding out here since the bad humans begun their project. Is that a bad human right next to you?" He and the other animals stared directly at Jonas.

"No, no, no! I'm not a bad human, I'm a good human! A very, very, very good human!!" Jonas stammered, filled with intense fear. "We're just looking for the last ingredient for the cure, that's all!"

"Excuse me?!" Red Fang growled.

"We just came here looking for the last ingredient for the cure." I said. "We've been working on one of our own so we can spare the lives of both the humans and the animals."

"...You want the Cleaned Ivy then, huh?" Red Fang asked, calming down. "Well, in that case, it's over there next to that....grey box."

Jonas and I looked up and saw the final ingredient for our cure, sitting still on a big boulder. The Cleaned Ivy. The complete opposite of poison ivy. It has been know to cure anything it touches. But, it must be mixed with a bunch of different special ingredients to work globally or nationally.

"The Cleaned Ivy!" I exclaimed in happiness, as I ran up to it, my paws trembling in front of it. "At last! We have found it! Now, everyone is saved!"

"Just a minute! If the cure is right here," Jonas cried, but stopped himself. "Nevermind. The Government would've immediately eradicated you guys. But, wow! We finally found the cure. It wasn't so hard at all!"

What Jonas said echoed in my head. "It wasn't so hard at all!" Those words must mean something. The Government was extremely determined. Even THEY would've used the Cleaned Ivy to try to cure the Plague. And, they would've EASILY found this place as well. And, this grey box was actually a tape recorder. What is going on here? I wondered.

As we said our goodbyes to Red Fang and the other animals, we walked back into the cave and ran into the pile of boulders blocking the entrance. I pulled out sticks of dynamite from my backpack (which I had on throughout this surprisingly small journey), lit them, and blew up the boulders away. Jonas asked my, "Why didn't you tell me about the dynamite before??"

"I don't know..." I sighed, as we walked through the cave.

"Hey, is something wrong?" Jonas asked, as we walked outside. "You don't look very happy."

I showed Jonas the tape recorder. "Wh-Why the hell would that be there??"

"I don't know." I said. "It just doesn't make any sense."

"Play it!" Jonas demanded.

"I don't think we sho-" I said, but Jonas grabbed the tape recorder from me and pressed the red button on it.

We listened to the recording. I almost had a heart attack when I heard the voice,

"Dear Melanie and Jonas,
We've been watching you for awhile and we must say, we're quite impressed. Now you can cure the entire country just like you wanted. Even though it was my idea to create and release the Rainbow Plague, we're impressed. Yes, we released the Plague to test your determination to save humanity. Plus, for quite a year, we've been blackmailed by some of the most prominent Americans for quite sometime, yes. If they exposed us to all the worlds Governments, we'd be ruined. We didn't really close our business down. We just retreated to an anonymous location. But, even if we'd just hide ourselves, that wouldn't end the blackmailing. In order to prevent losing our business, we threatened the Government of America to help us with exterminating humanity in America. And, once that was done. We would allow you to create the cure. I am very sorry we didn't tell you this sooner, but our plan had to go on. You can still save countless humans and animals and we will absolutely not stop you. Oh, and the Rainbow Plague was just a random name I created. Now, you can be the hero you want to be and we can continue our business. Farewell, Melanie.

Dr. Shelly P. Joseph, PhD
CEO of Hybrid Hospital Laboratories."