13 [thirteen]

My heart is 

filled with ferns 

so soft 

and is surrounded 

by thorns 

so sharp.  

I lay my little Lili bug in her crib and make sure to cover her up so she is not cold

I lay my little Lili bug in her crib and make sure to cover her up so she is not cold. I could hear her little heart pattering as she breathes. I trace her features with my eyes, I follow the lines of her lips, I gently swoop my fingertips over her eyelids, then brush my hand on her cheek. She may flutter with baby delight or let out a sigh and re-snuggle back into her teddy bear. I dare anyone to try to resist that — it's pretty much impossible.  

I walk over and check on Laurel who had already been sound asleep, she is sucking on her thumb. I chuckle and smile at the sight of my two beautiful daughters who are so precious it physically pains me. 

Laurel is my little mini me. She is the quiet and shy one, but is oh so loving. Her mix of green and brown eyes make me melt into her every time she gazes at me. They say that those with green eyes are wise and gentle individuals and are the least aggressive, which describes her perfectly. 

Lili has these hazel brown eyes that go right through you, she has a dark complexion, and she even has these little freckles on her face already. She is moody and cries if she doesn't get her own way or if all the attention is not on her. As much as I deny it and avoid the topic, she looks and acts so much like him. 

I close their bedroom door shut very softly, being careful not to wake them. It was around 7:00 in the evening. It was a special occasion as my mom and my brother Alec were both here with me for the weekend, they weren't too fond on staying in the middle of the woods but they do it for me.

My mom stands at the sink washing their supper dishes. "Did you get her put down okay?" My mom asked as she smiled. She loved being a grandmother, I've never seen her this happy in my life. As much as I wish they weren't born into a situation like this, I think they were exactly what my mother needed in her life. 

I nodded my head in approval as I walked toward the couch where Alec was sitting. "You guys are so good to us, I wanna thank you for staying with me" I asked genuinely. 

Alec pulled me into a tight hug, which he doesn't normally do anymore. I could only stay in his grasp for a few seconds before I had to scooch across the couch, I could hear his artery pulsing and I didn't want anything to happen. 

"Adi" My mom said, her voice a little shaky. 

"Yeah?" I replied without looking in her direction. I was texting Rosalie who was wondering how the babies were. 

Before I knew it, I heard a loud smash and my mother had dropped the plate that she was currently washing. Her voice turned to a whisper. "I think I just saw somethi- someone outside"

My eyes bulged and I immediately became panicked. I put my finger up to my lips and gestured for them to stay silent. I pointed for them to go into the babies room, which had no windows for a reason. ""Lock the door" I mouthed to them as I grabbed a shovel. 

I exited from the back of the house hoping to take whoever or whatever it was by surprise. I could smell it, like it was right next to me. It was definitely a vampire. I pulled out my phone and texted Rosalie an SOS and alerted them, which is what I was told to do if there was ever an emergency. 

The atmosphere was filled with a thick layer of dew, the droplets of moisture that flow off the trees above. The mixture of rain and fog was an advantage to me, so that nobody would normally stumble upon my house by accident. 

Turning around on my heels, I could feel someones presence. The trees near me ruffled as I continued to turn toward the sound. I gripped onto the shovel tighter and awaited the inevitable. I could feel it getting closer and I prepared to take it out. 

I swung the shovel hard and hit it like a ton of bricks, but before I had the chance to even look at the creature, I was pushed back on into the ground

I swung the shovel hard and hit it like a ton of bricks, but before I had the chance to even look at the creature, I was pushed back on into the ground.  My face being pushed into the soil underneath. 

I was gonna die. This was it, this is how I was going to die and whoever it was, was going to get my girls next. I closed my eyes tightly and awaited death. It took me a few seconds to really gauge onto what was happening. 

Whatever had me in a death grip let me go and was now gone. Frightened at the sight of the creature that was now here,  a wolf.  One that I hadn't recognized from before.  It was gigantic, swift, and not as tall as Sam, which I know as being the alpha because he had sought me out after I turned. This wolf is a light brown and has dark gray around his eyes almost resembling a mask. 

He then leaped into the trees. 

"Wait" I yelled in that general direction, wanting to thank it for saving me. I was confused as I heard branches crack and bushes move. 

Out of the darkness of the trees emerges a tan, brown haired boy I once knew. 

Under my breathe, I muttered only one word. 

"Jared"