Ch. 4

Chloe stayed silent as she dropped Max back off at the school. After a mumbled goodbye she sped off leaving a confused brunette in her dust.
Walking back to her dorm, Kate bombarded Max with questions on where she went and why she wasn't working on a project due the next week. Not wanting to be mean, the hipster said she stayed the night with some old friends and that she was going to get to work real soon. Kate offered to help but Max waved her off, insisting she could do it herself and that she had a headache.

After closing her room door Max let herself fall onto her small bed. It was still stuffy from the Oregon heat and she could feel herself sweating in her jacket.
'I need to stop mentioning Rachel around Chloe, it just causes these awkward tense moments. I can't stand not being able to talk to her like that...' Max's thoughts kept her company as she undressed and tried to let herself relax.
Meanwhile Chloe was speeding down the road to the lighthouse. She was mad, but she couldn't tell herself why. Warren had been pining for Max since the beginning, that much was obvious when Chloe first met him. He had given himself to Nathan's beatings while Chloe almost hit Max with her car.
What if Max actually did start dating him. What if she did get too busy and left? Rachel left too...
Chloe felt tears running from the corners of her eyes. The thought of loosing another person in her life made her feel practically inhuman. The punk sloppily parked her truck and made way to the familiar bench in the tall grass.
As much as I loved Rachel, her feelings for me were always so unsure. At least, they were romantically. But Max, there's always been something there between us. Even now but... it feels different now. Less platonic.
Chloe rubbed her eyes before pulling out a cigarette. Starting to dig through her pockets for her lighter, she grumbled to herself and thought back to Max's face on the beach the night before. The fire had glowed off her face just right, and Chloe knew with one look that she was definitely more than just attracted to this girl.
I'd never have a chance with her, she probably has a lot of guys running after her. Or girls. Chloe choked on a laugh at the image of Max and Victoria in a loving embrace. It was comical, but as the image stuck Chloe felt herself more irritated.
Giving up the search for a light, Chloe glared at the sky as it sifted from blue to orange.
The thought of her being with anyone else is worse than seeing Rachel and Frank. Chloe rubbed her temple and began to stand up, lookin down at the town of Arcadia Bay from the grassy cliff. Rachel's gone, maybe not completely but her feelings for me are. Why should I torture myself when there's someone so perfect in front of me. Fuck, Max I wish I could have opened my eyes sooner.
Chloe pulled out her phone and decided to send a single text message before loading up in her truck. She smiled whist-fully as she typed in the words.
Max, skip classes Tuesday. I have an idea.
Putting her phone in her pocket, Chloe retrieved her keys. She scrunched down into the tall grass, plucking a small foxglove blossom and made her way to the truck, admiring the flower.
"I hope this works out..."