Chapter 14: Akatsuki

*Author’s Note:  Here’s another chapter.  I hope you like it!

Disclaimer:  I don’t own Vampire Knight.

…two years later…

            “Are you going to knock…or should I?” Hanabusa said nervously as we stood in front of the Souen mansion.  I rolled my eyes and sighed, answering his question by knocking on the door. 

            It opened quickly, as if someone had been waiting on the other side.  Ruka stuck her head out, but strangely she didn’t leave the house. 

            “Hi.  So?” she asked, knowing why we were here. 

            “Another one, in the same town.  Are you coming?” I said, keeping the details at a minimum to make sure no one would know about our secret mission, though I knew Ruka would understand. 

            “I…I don’t think I can…” she said hesitantly, avoiding eye contact with us.  “Did you…see him?” she asked, almost longingly, referring to Kaname no doubt.

            “Yes.  He’s the same as always,” Hanabusa told her. 

            “I’m glad,” she said, somehow looking relieved.  “Well…I guess I should go…but please, be careful,” she told us, beginning to turn around. 

            I reached out to her, grabbing her shoulder, intending to stall her for a second to ask if everything was ok. “Wait, Ruka—“ I started.

            As I touched her, she flinched hard at my touch and inhaled sharply.  My hand snapped back to my side as if I had been shocked, and there was a heavy moment of silence.

            “Ruka, seriously what has gotten into you?” Hanabusa said, crossing his arms, but looking concerned nonetheless.  I could feel his eyes on me, as if he was waiting for me to back him up, but I could only seem to stare at Ruka as I tried to cover up my hurt. 

            “I’m going to get a head start, you catch up,” Hanabusa said to me, turning around to leave.  I tried not to show my surprise.  It was true that he was generally very self-involved and immature, but he did this sometimes, left the two of us alone, when it was evident there was something we needed to talk about. 

            “Ruka…” I paused, thinking about how to word my question.  It would make a difference in whether or not she would answer.  “Are you sure you don’t want to come?  You…probably haven’t been outside in a while.  Maybe it’s good to get some fresh air.”

            She sighed, eyes downcast.  “Thank you…but no, I shouldn’t.”

            “Listen…are you doing okay?” I asked bluntly, not knowing what else I could do.

            “Yeah, Akatsuki.  I’m really okay.  I just have a lot of things I need to do…and besides, I’ll see you soon anyway, right?”

            “Of course, I wouldn’t miss your birthnight,” I told her, giving a small smile.  She returned it, though it didn’t quite reach her eyes.

            “See you at my birthnight, then,” she said, closing the door behind her. 

            Once the door was shut, I let out a sigh, running my hand through my coppery hair in frustration.