Twenty-Six: Ice Cream

The little ice cream parlor across the street from my apartment turned out to be quite nice. I'd actually never been in it before, because the liquor store was right next to it, and that's all I ever went to. Sara told me that the shop beside the ice cream parlor was her mother's. I suggested we stop in after we finished, and she told me only for a few minutes, because her mom's shop closed at nine.

We both ordered regular vanilla, and she seemed pleased I wasn't pickier.

"Is it good?" I asked her from across the little table we sat at. There weren't many other people in the shop, because it was nearing eight thirty.

Sara nodded, but had a far-away look in her eye. "You know, Hayden, just because I'm letting you take me out, doesn't mean I'm giving in."

"Giving in to what?" I faked ignorance, licking my cone.

She shifted in her seat and our eyes locked. "The whole love and sex thing."

I stayed quiet for a while. "I'd be okay without the sex, if you want."

She started laughing. Uncontrollably. For a long time. It was the first legit time I'd heard Sara's laugh. And it was beautiful. It made my heart flutter.

But then I remembered that she was laughing at me. "What's so funny about that?" I asked defensively.

"I know you're lying. It was just kind of cute."

My cheeks reddened, and I glanced down at the table. A girl had never made me blush until now. "What's cute?"

"That you'd say you'd give up sex for me." She'd stopped laughing.

I inhaled sharply, and looked up. "Okay, fine. So I wouldn't give up sex completely, but let me put it this way, I'll take each at a time. First, I'll get you to fall for me, then, and only then, will l suggest we sleep together. Is that better, Miss Knight?" I said carefully.

Sara suppressed another laugh. "That was actually cuter than the whole abstinence thing." She admitted, hiding her smile with her hand.

I rolled my eyes and let out a large breath. "Fine. How about this, we finish our ice cream, go to my apartment, and I'll fuck you tonight."

She stopped laughing. "Can I ask you something, Hayden?"

"Sure." I took a lick of my ice cream, imagining it was Sara's lips.

She hesitated before asking slowly, "Is that was you really want? I mean, really and truly."

"What, to take you home right now and have sex?" I asked, to clarify.

Sara nodded.

"Absolutely not." I told her honestly, "If I was a manwhore who was trying to pick up a younger girl, the sex would have already happened the day I laid eyes on you. But I at least try to believe I'm a better man than that." I admitted, staring into her wide, green eyes. In that moment, Sara looked so damn innocent.

She stared a moment longer before leaning across the table and letting out a soft breath. "You are a better man than that, Hayden."

My breath hitched. I leaned in too, my mind completely rid of the world around me. 

"Can I kiss you?" She asked, ever so softly. 

A smile made its way onto my face. "You're so cute."

And then, we kissed. But this time, she kissed me back, and I didn't get a concussion.