Chapter 22

Mackenzie's POV

There is something beautiful about silence. The way your thoughts belong to you and you only, even when you're surrounded by others. There are millions of thoughts, sights, visions, and ideas just swirling around the air, unseen but always present. And though the silence paired with the wait had been unbearable yesterday, the silence captivates me today.

"Good morning, Miss Crawford. You must be tired by now? Why don't you go home?" Harry's doctor advises me, but I shake my head, yawning.

"I'll be fine, thanks. I'm just going to wait until his mom gets here or until he wakes up," she nods and adjusts his body into an upright position in hopes to wake him up. "Whichever comes first," I mutter and rest my elbows on the bed, leaning my head on them.

"I'll be back in a few minutes, Mrs. Styles has arrived," the doctor tells me. I sigh. We're alone again.

The Doctor's POV

I shake my head, exiting Harry's room. I strut down the halls, glancing at the various papers on my clip board, and try to gather my thoughts to share with his mother. "Hello, Anne!" I try to smile, but the news I bear breaks it.

"Dr. Jansen! How is he? Did he wake up?" Her hopeful eyes break my heart, but my professional position on the subject forces me to give information with a sense of positivity, no matter how horrible it may be.

"Sadly, he hasn't woken up. We hope that he will be up within the next 24 to 48 hours. If he hasn't by then, we will have to run further tests." Her eyes waver and she runs her shaking hands through her hair.

"Could I see him please?"

"Absolutely," I say swallowing loudly. "The girl is in there. She has been all night."

"Mackenzie?" She gasps as I lead her down the hall.

"Is that her name? Beautiful girl, but yes. Don't think she slept a wink, nor did she let go of his hand. How long have they been together?" I question. The boy is lucky, he wasn't married to a psychotic control freak with no intention of being married for more than one year, the time it takes to inherit your spouce's savings in a mischevious manner. Had me fooled. I open the door into the room and the girl's head snaps towards us. She beams as well as Harry, awake and grinning. She hesitantly looks back at him and down and their interlocked fingers, removes them swiftly, and stands up awkwardly. I chuckle to myself, and begin questioning him.

"I'll be back later," Mackenzie tells us and Harry nods, clearly upset by our interruption. It's childish and adorable and I find myself grinning again, until Harry's awful manners come to the surface.

"So what's the deal?" He spits. I raise my eyebrows.

"Excuse me?"

"What is the deal with me? Doc." He mocks and I sit down next to him.

"You know.. you're going to be questioned by the police soon. We found alcohol in your system." I advise him to clearly think the situation through before making any irrational decisions, but he scoffs.

"Can't be questioned until I know what's wrong with me and can out of this old people party," He stares at me with confidence.

"Fine," I give in to his persistent arrogance and roll my eyes unprofessionally. "We aren't sure how you went off the bridge, but when you did the surface wasn't far from the bedrock. The impact of the car slamming into the ground sent your body forward and when you hit your head on the car, wherever you hit it which we assume was the steering wheel, your brain was damaged. The shock caused a Cerebral Hemorrhage, bleeding in the brain. It isn't safe for you to leave yet even though you're awake, so you'll probably be here for at least 24 hours more. Then you'll have to face the real world, cruel and sober, and not on your side. So as I said before, don't be an idiot. Think about what the consequences of your words are. I'll be back to check on you later," I stand up and leave his mother and him alone.

Through the glass, the two hug, which both surprises and warms my heart.

*i am so sorry i seriously let you guys down. I feel like my updates are short and awful and sporadic and I'm sorry but lots has changed.. comment what you think please!!*