Story Time

Okay, so for my English class, we had to write a fantasy, sci-fi or fairy-tale story. Being the great student that I am, I procrastinated until the last day. So here it is:

The first thing that Sam noticed when he woke up in history class was the lack of people. "Where is everyone...?" He muttered to himself, glancing around. He stood up, making the chair creak loudly in protest. "That's odd... this chair's never creaked before." He bent down next to it, lifting the seat to reveal the metal beneath, which looked like it'd been rusting for years. He shook his head and stood up. Odd. He noticed that there seemed to be a thick layer of dust on every surface of the classroom, which was definitely not right, since his teacher hated filth.

Walking into the hallway, he gasped. It looked like the place had been abandoned for years! "How long was I asleep for?" He asked himself.

He spent hours walking around the town, noticing that there seemed to be no people anywhere near him. Eventually, he decided to walk home, but when he got there, he instantly regretted his decision. His mom's car was parked in the driveway, which should have been a good sign, but the layer of dust on it proved that it hadn't been driven in a long time.

He walked up the porch steps, pushing the front door open a little too hard. It hit the wall behind it with a loud smack. Oops.

"Mom? Lilly? Dean, where are you?" He called for his family, but got no reply. Walking up the creaky stairs, he went into his room, which looked about the same as he was expecting: cobwebs in the corners, dust on the Xbox, rust on the office chair.

The odd thing- as if this situation wasn't odd enough already- was the television. It was on, with a completely white screen. As he approached it, an image began to flicker on the screen, still too blurry and pixelated to tell what it was. After a few minutes, the picture cleared enough to be able to tell that it was a woman. She had long brown hair up in a bun and was wearing a white lab coat. She wore goggles over her piercing blue eyes. She looked like she had walked out of some kind of science fiction movie.

Sam was about to turn away when she suddenly began to speak. "Hello, Sam," she said, as if they're been friends for years. He stared at the screen in shock. "H-how do you know my name? Who are you?" He asked shakily, trying to sound confident and demanding, although it probably wouldn't get him very far.

She smiled warmly, "Oh, I know all about you, Sam. We've been watching you for a long time." She turned her head to the side, and Sam saw another woman enter. No, not woman. She was a teenager, like him. She had short black hair that reached her shoulders and sea green eyes. She looked similar to the other woman, but her face was expressionless, like she didn't want to be there. She didn't wear a lab coat, just jeans and a baby blue hoodie. She looked like someone that Sam would see in his high school.

The lady turned back to the television, still smiling that unnerving smile. "My daughter and I would like for you to join us, Sam. I see great potential in you for wha we are planning next," she said. "Where is my family? What have you done to everyone?" Sam asked cautiously.

Her smile faded slightly, becoming a sad one. "They were... unimportant... they're being kept somewhere... safe. But that doesn't matter. Sam, you must join us," her smile became brighter again, but Sam could tell she was uncomfortable on the topic. "I won't help you unless you let them go," He stood his ground.

She frowned and clicked her tongue. "No, that won't do... I say we speed up the process," she turned to the girl. "Do what you must to make him cooperate," she ordered. The girl smiled, a little too compliant. "Of course, mother," she nodded. The woman took a last glance at Sam before she suddenly disappeared off the screen. Sam gaped. "Where did she go?!" He looked around the screen for her. The girl turned to him and rolled her eyes. "She just has to make a dramatic exit. Every. Single. Time," the girl sounded irritated. "The name's Laura. Now listen, my mom wants you to help us with... something. I really don't care, but it'll just make things easier if you agree. If you help us, I'll try to get my mom to let your little friends go, but I can't promise anything. Now, are you in or not?" She crossed her arms. Sam thought through his options: refuse and something bad might happen, or accept and possibly free everyone. "Fine, I'll do it," he sighed. She smiled. "That's what I thought." Little did he know that was the worst mistake of his life.

Hope it wasn't absolutely awful! I came up with the idea yesterday and wrote the whole thing in like 45 minutes today!

~Bandit 💜