#13 Conflicting Emotions

(Preston's POV)

Well, this is akward. How do we know this 'Danial' person won't betray us? He took Vikk to the lab. Lachlan has somehow wound up in the steering seat with the guy. The reins of the horses come through a window. Mitch and Jerome share a seat with Vikk grumbling on the floor. Rob and I share the other seat. I let him hold my wrist so that way he doesn't feel lost. I know that he has that echo location thing, but he's been too scared to make a sound since we started running.

"I-I never meant for this to happen. I didn't want to bring Vikk here", Danial stutters while steering. "Well how did you bring me here on 'accident' then!?", Vikk snaps back. The man flinches back, opening his mouth to reply. Lachlan beats him to it. "You found out too much. By the time you realized what they were doing here, they wouldn't let you leave", He drops his gaze before speaking again, "You have a wife. And a daughter. You couldn't leave them by themselves".

"H-How can y-you know that?", the man gasps. "I can read your thoughts........ but I promise not to do it again! I don't like invading your privacy, but I needed to know if you would hurt my friends", Lachlan says sheepishly. That's really nice of him. Of all the people in the world who could of had the ability to read minds, I'm glad it's him. Lachlan wouldn't hurt a fly. "Well...... I hope you can forgive me someday, Vikk", Danial says, looking back at him. Vikk doesn't answer. I mean, the dude did get him experimented on. He did wide up as part of the place that hurt all of us.

But......... did they hurt me? Everyone else was alive and somebody before this happened to us. Even if Lachlan and Rob don't remember. I'm not like them. I don't know what to do with all the new things I feel. Wasn't I suppose to be somewhere far away? Where I used to touch hundreds of fiery stone islands all at once? There's a certain loneliness about not being able to feel that anymore. I'm not sure what I am. I'm not human at all, so do I really still belong here?

It was like I was somebody else when I woke up. Some primal instinct that I can't control. As I calmed down and had to think more about the situation, my head clears, and it seems my personality shifts to something more human. I don't understand

"Preston, I think that you're burning the seat", Rob mumbles while nudging me with his arm. I snap out of my thoughts to see that the seat is indeed smoking. I yelp while trying to beat down the smoldering wood, also shoving down my conflicted emotions. Thank Notch that Rob is fireproof. I should probably start listening to the conversation instead of brooding.

"Where are we going?", Jerome pipes up. "To the nearest city. It's where........", Danial starts, but doesn't finish. "Is it the place with the big water fountain in the middle of town?", Mitch asks. "Yep, that's the one", Danial confirms. "That's where I live! Jerome and I talked about going to my house after we got out, but we can all go there now!", Mitch cheers. "But didn't you get taken from your house?", Vikk asks suspiciously. "Yeah...... but my parents were gone during that. Dad has people who keep everyone else out, so I'll just tell them to let you guys in and no one else till they come back", Mitch grins triumphantly. "Sounds like our best bet. What do you think Rob?", I ask him.

"I-I guess. Nowhere else f-", he starts, but is cut off by coughing. Rob coughs and hacks up blood onto my hoodie, but I don't really care about that. "R-Rob! Are you ok?", I almost scream, but catch myself at the last second. I don't want to hurt his ears. "F-Fine", Rob stutters out after he stops coughing. His voice sounds ruff and scratchy. I catch Lachlan's eye, seeing as he's turned around and staring at us. He immediately looks away with a guilty expression. Was he reading Rob's mind? Please tell me that Rob's going to be ok......

"We're almost to the address you told me. I-I'm going to drop you guys off a block away so that it could take longer to track down this car", Danial eventually puts in. "Thank you for helping us and doing what you thought was right", Lachlan smiles as the carriage slows down to a stop. "I have a lot to atone for. It's the least I can do. Now go on and get out of here", Danial says while opening the carriage doors for us. "Thanks for the ride", Mitch mumbles. He jumps out with Jerome right behind him. Vikk and Lachlan quickly exit after them.

I get out with Rob still holding my wrist. I'm a little surprised when he doesn't try to use his echolocation to find the step down to the ground. Instead, he almost face-plants into the ground. I grab onto his shoulders to keep him upright as he stumbles against me. "Come'on Rob, we're almost there. Just a little further", I try to reassure him. Rob doesn't answer me, but does walk forward as I lead him over to the others. "Bye Danial", Lachlan calls out as the carriage speeds away. "We have to get Rob inside, follow me!", Mitch says as he grabs Jerome's paw and pulls him forwards. The rest of us chase after the pair, most of Rob's weight supported on me.

But the question remains: Am I even really alive?