Chapter One

They say it's kill or be killed. Just replace the 'or' with an 'and' and you'll see that that's my life. I never really understood the meaning of it until my 56th birthday. Hey I'm still young looking (literally) and I have a keen sense of what I want. And all I want is what any vampire wants. Obviously blood, but something else too: vulnerability in my victims. It just makes it easier for me to get to them and their blood faster. 

But I really needed a change. The people in my current town are questioning sudden disappearances and deaths. Not to mention bodies hidden in the abandon building just across the barber shop. I was the the rebel of the town and I knew that they'd come looking for me first. And when I say rebel, I mean rebel. I did the standard burning down the buildings, conning, and any other thing a Tasmanian devil would do.

Me and rebellion? We were like two peas in a pod.

So anyways, I always had a backup plan. I had over run about 30 towns in my years. Tricking people with my wit was what I did. Being trapped in an 18 year old body has it's perks, ya know? And my back up plan included changing my name, my age, and my personality. I really hated the times I had to play "nice girl". It was really embarrassing you know? That's not who I really was. But for a 97 year old, I still got it. 

So I was packing my bags by next morning. I didn't exactly have much to pack  aside from my "blood to go" box. Hey, I needed something for the road and Red Bull wasn't exactly gonna cut it.

I had a small apartment that was on the fourth floor, that way no one can see me snagging the blood from the guy in room 5B.

I opened the closet by my bed and threw the clothes onto my bed. I pulled out my leather jacket and put it on. I wanted to leave as soon as I could with out any trouble. The only person that would honestly care was Josh and that was because he had a crush on me. But that guy cannot take a damn hint.

I'm not even kidding when I say he's a stalker. Bringing me flowers on holidays I didn't even know existed, like seriously! What the hell is Accountancy Appreciation Day? It was about time I ditched this sucky town and headed for the next.

As I closed by suit case, I headed out the door with it along with grabbing my lighter (Hey I can smoke right? What am I gonna do? Die? Been there, done that). Once I got to the elevator, I saw the old man living in the apartment next to mine. I guess your suprised I haven't got to him yet. Well, he was old and what blood did he have in him anyway?

"Movin'?" He asked.

"Dying?" I replied. He just rolled his eyes. I looked a head of me. "Yeah." 

"'Bout time." This time I rolled my eyes. I knew he hated me. Pretty much everyone in this town did. No one really came near me with there children. Protecting there innocent little minds and shit.

By the time the elevator opened, the old man (Henry) had left claiming he had left something in his apartment. I knew that he just didn't want to be riding the same elevator as me. I stepped in making sure I had everything: Alcohol, cigarettes, lighter, and keys.

The elevator music really pisses me off everytime I get on. It's horrific really. playing happy music on a day were you could be in a bad mood. It really puts a damper on my mood. I nearly ripped the damn speakers off by the time I reached the first floor. As usual, I earned stares from everyone.  

"What are you looking at?" The imediately all filed into the elevator once I got out. A few of them noticed my suitcase and sighed with relief. 

Well screw you, too.

As I made my way out the door, I was greeted with a smile and blue eyes along with brown hair. I sighed.

"Josh," I said, " What are you doing here?"