Hope

"Marilyn wake up it's already pass 10 o'clock in the morning."

"10 minutes." I mumbled not bothering whether Laura heard it or not. It sounded like she was in the kitchen. Maybe cooking her usual pasta 🍝 which was quite good considering she did took a cooking class. Then I heard the door being knocked. After no responses from me Laura pushed the door open.

"Come on, Mary. I made you breakfast. Its from my secret recipe." She said while pulling my blanket off from me. I only rolled over and ignored her.

"Babe, I know your frustrated and all but please don't skip breakfast. And by the way your parents called earlier." That made me awake. I rolled to face her and asked "What did they say?" Curiosity creeps in.

She rolled her eyes. "They said that they tried calling Ben but he's not answering. Its like his avoiding your parents which obviously means he didn't want to be bothered." "What about his parents?" "They called them and yes they answered. Fear finally came to me. I forgotten about his parents.

A pregnant pause then I asked "Did they mentioned about Ben and I? That we..." no words came out. Only accompanied by silence which results with Laura gripping my hand tightly. She looks at me pitifully. "They didn't say the details but I think his parents doesn't know about the breakup. Or maybe this was a last minute decision on his side. Not his families."

"That's odd." I said confused. He always make sure his parents get a heads up about his well-being and relationships. Even the location of our first date was suggested by his mother. I thought for a bit.

"That's really not like him Laura." I said worried. "Let's think about that later shall we? Its time for you to have breakfast." She said getting off my bed and stretched herself before giving her hand. I took her hand and now we're heading to the kitchen.

Eating breakfast didn't help to ease my worries. I'm still thinking about Ben and why he ended all of this in such a short notice. I tapped the table a few times until Laura admonished my behaviour. I only smiled and continued eating.

Then we did the unspoken agreement that when she cooks I do the dishes and when I cook she does. Its for mutual benefit and fair as a sign of gratitude. She proceeded to walk out of the kitchen after putting the dishes on the sink.

"Babe, I forgot to tell you he left his business card for you." "Who?" I shouted from the kitchen. "That gentleman from last night." I tried to remembered last night and it clicked. "Oh, you meant the key person?" "Pfft, what? The key person? Really Miss Lee? That's the pet name?" She said trying to hold her laughter. I only rolled my eyes.

After the washing I joined her on the couch and snatched the remote control from her hands. "Hey! I was using that." She said while trying to take the remote from my hands. "You have to do better than that." I said and hold the remote higher. She only pouted and folded her hands. "Since when you became a duckling?" I said cackling with laughter. That got me off guard and she managed to steal the remote. "Mine." She said claiming her victory with her signature victory dance.

I only rolled my eyes. "So where's the card?" "Its there on the table or maybe in the dustbin." I searched for it and found the card. "Eryk Synn Clark. That name rings a bell don't you think?" I said to Laura. "What?" "Eryk. His name feels familiar like I heard it before." I explained to her but I realised she was more focused on the drama from the television. 'Maybe its just me.' I thought and saved his number to my phone.

I then joined and we binge watch it until midnight. After dinner we then hangout at my room talking about our schedule for the week and then she popped up a question. "Did you text him." She said playfully. "Who?" I eyed her wearily. "You know mister *wink *wink" I only sighed. "I'm not sure if I'm interested you know. I still love Ben. And we just broke up. And who knows. He could maybe come to his senses and continued the marriage and we can pretend that this never happened." I said hopefully.

"Yes but that only happens in novels Marilyn and we're not in one. Just accept the fact that he was acting like an arse. And you" she cupped my face. "Look at me." My eyes looking at hers. "You're the best friend that anyone could want and a partner anyone should be grateful of. I don't want you to think that just because he dumped you doesn't mean you're the problem. It either his problem or anyone's. Not yours. He said it himself. Its not you its his. So stop thinking about him."

I started sniffing and tried to hold my tears which seems failing at the moment. "Look Marilyn. I'm not saying you should forget him or anything. I just want you to see the bigger picture. Maybe what happened was a good thing for you. Maybe its not meant to be. And perhaps this key person is the one who's going to mend your broken heart." She said while hugging me. "I just want you to know that you still have options. And Ben is not the only person in this planet that can fall for you. Many more including Brian."

That made my eyes rolled. "Seriously? Brian Tucker? Oh my goodness Laura you know how much of a knob he is." I said stating the facts. She only giggled. "Oh he's not that bad." "Easy for you to say. You didn't date him. If you did you would've said otherwise." Laura shrugged and that made me suspicious. "Wait, were you"

"Good night Marilyn I'll see you tomorrow." She said quickly and tucked herself to bed. I only sighed and walked to the door. "Switch the lights off for me would you." I nodded and went to my room. I closed all the lights and proceeded to my bed. I looked at my phone one last time hoping for a text from Ben but no luck. I just hope tomorrow will be just fine. I hoped.