Chapter 1: A New Beginning

Helena's pace quickened as she walked back home knowing that the area she was walking through was no place for anyone decent to be in during the day, let alone this late at night

She looked behind cautiously as she took a sharp turn, gasping and nearly crying out when she felt her body collide with another. She looked up to see three men who were clearly drunk smirking at her through their beards.

"Uh..I apologise for bumping into..you. I'll..uh..be on my way." She said softly, stuttering a little. She tried to pull her hand back but the man's grip was too firm.

"Now, now...there's no need for that, is there?" He said, his speech slurred.

"Uh...let me go! I have nothing you'll want so don't waste your time here." She said through her teeth, struggling to have her hand released.

"You should really stop struggling, dearie. Wouldn't wanna bruise that skin of yours." The second man said, taking a step forward, his speech even more slurred.

"Step aside." Helena told the men, her words coming out more confident than she felt.

"Why should we do that?" The first man asked softly, in a mocking way.

A surge of anger went through Helena. But before she could do anything on impulse, a fourth man walked up from behind her.

"You should do that because the lady asked you to and I am telling you to." He said with a British accent.

The three drunks glared at him for a moment before turning the glare on the girl, releasing her hand and walking away.

Helena let out a breath she wasn't aware she was holding and turned around, rubbing her wrist.

"Thank you. I really appreciate that." She told the man, genuinely grateful.

"Ah, it wasn't a problem. But this is not a place for anyone, specially a young lady, to be wandering around alone in, ma'am." The man said.

"I'm aware. I do my best to avoid this place but sometimes it just can't be helped, I guess." She said with a tight smile. "And no formalities please. I'm Helena."

"Robert." The man smiled.

"Well, thank you Robert. It was nice to meet you." Helena said

"The drunkards won't be far off. And I'm sure there are many others in this area. May I offer to drive you home?" He asked.

"I wouldn't want to cause trouble. It's alright." She replied.

"I insist. And it's not a problem."

"Thank you, Robert. Truly." She smiled.

"If you don't mind, may I ask for a favour? You have my word, you won't be forced to do anything you do not wish to and will have the option of saying no at any point." He asked as they walked towards his car.

"Umm...I suppose." She said.

"I work for someone, a person who is in a bit of a crisis at the moment." Robert told her. "I only ask that you meet him once. My word still stands and if you choose to meet him they will still apply."

"I am likely to have heard of him?" Helena asked, looking at Robert's car knowing that this man had to be extremely rich. Robert worked for him and drove one of the fanciest cars she had ever seen.

"No. Not at all." Robert said.

Helena contemplated the situation, getting into the car, feeling like she owed the man this much, she verbalised her agreement.

"Perfect." Robert replied. "May I know your full name?"

"Helena Cordelia Carter." She told him before telling him where to drop her.

It was a silent ride, the two only speaking when asking an occasional vague question or answering the same.

"Shall I pick you up in the morning?" Robert asked Helena.

"I have work at 9:30." Helena informed him.

"Would 8 be too early?"

"No. That'll work." Helena said, giving him a small, appreciative smile and and a thank you before ringing the doorbell.
_________________________________________________
Hey guys! I hope you liked this chapter. I would really really appreciate any feedback you guys give me. Comment your opinion.
Vote and follow if you like this story and add it to your reading lists.
Q. Is the chapter catchy enough?
Have a great day everyone🌹
-TwirlingPages