Chapter 2: The Proposal

The next morning, Helena was dressed by 7:30

The next morning, Helena was dressed by 7:30. She helped her mother prepare breakfast knowing that her 7 brothers and father would be awake soon.

She was wearing the nicest clothes she had, which admittedly weren't the best but we're good enough. Helena was used to it. They were never well off and growing up with seven brothers, she always got the most privileges seeing as hardly any of her elder brothers' old things could be handed down to her.

They had moved to the United States from England when she was 7. Things had been pretty tough. She had never mixed very well with other kids after their relocation. There were, of course, a number of children she did make friends with but she was never the same after shifting from her home country. Now, ten years later, most of her memories were unclear, but it was the homey feeling which she remembered, that she missed.

At 8 o'clock sharp, the doorbell rang. Helena glanced at the clock, surprised by the punctuality.

"That's me." She told her mother, hugging her. "I'll most likely head straight to work after this."

"Call me once you get out of this...meeting." Her mother said, giving her a smile. "And be home on time. I'm sure you still have homework to do."

"Yeah. Alright to the first to and obviously to the last." Helena said, getting out of the room.

She greeted Robert and followed him to the car.

"Where are we meeting?" She asked him once he started driving.

"There's a restaurant nearby. Eve's. Have you heard of it?" He asked, glancing at her from the corner of his eyes.

"Of course I have! I'd like to meet someone who hasn't!" She exclaimed, suddenly feeling very underdressed. "That place..it's...I don't even know how to put it!"

Robert chuckled. "Then don't."

It wasn't a very long drive to the restaurant. Not much later, Helena found herself being led to a private dining room.

"You May go right in. Mr. Vanderbilt is expecting you." The elegant lady told her, pushing the door slightly open.

Helena gave her a small smile before entering.

With his back turned to her was a man in a black suit. He had a pile of files next to him and was writing something on one. The sound of the pen scratching the paper stopped as soon as Helena entered.

"Ah. Miss Carter." The man said, standing up.

Helena consciously put effort into not looking desperate when she saw a very handsome face smirking down at her.

"Um..Helena. It's Helena. Please." She managed to get out, mentally reprimanding herself for sounding so idiotic.

"Well, you may call me James." He smiled as he led her to the other end of the table and pulled the chair out for her.