One ~ The Intruder.

A blast of cold wind made me pop my eyes open. I instantly sat upright, and I felt all my senses became alert. My eyes scanned the room warily for any suspecting motions.

None.

Seeing that the windows have been left open, I untangled the blanket from my legs and hopped off the bed. I walked towards the window, suddenly aware of the goosebumps evident on my arms.

Uh-oh, I thought. More than several times than I could count, bad things actually happen whenever I'm having these kinds of creepy horripilations.

No, scratch that. Worse things happen.

I shook my head to wake my clogged mind up. Maybe it's just me who imagined things. I need to be fully awake to avoid having half-asleep dreams that I sometimes mistook for reality. 

For example, just last week, I had recurring dreams of this ghastly lady - Serraphina was her name, according to her -  who apparently woke me up every damn midnight in the middle of my sleep, only to tell me some things that didn't make any kind of sense.

Either that, or I was just too caught up in her unusual glow of beauty to actually listen to her.

She may be a ghost of somebody, but the lights glowing - yes, she's luminous - around her made her look like a goddess of the moon.

I hurriedly placed the lock on the window. With my heartbeat raging inside my chest, I shuffled back to my bed as fast as I can, afraid to wake my telltale roommates up.

I don't want to let the convent sisters know I'm up past our curfew, that's for sure. I definitely don't want to be the last to remain on the dining halls, scrubing the dirty floor like a forlorn servant.

Just as I was about to climb my bed, a sharp creeking of a wooden floor plank on my left stopped me. 

My head whipped to the source of the sound. A movement hastily stepped back into the shadows.

"Shit," a deep, raspy voice whispered.

I gawked. It is practically impossible to have a male specie here, since that this is a homely refuge intended for girls.

My heart raced to 200 miles per split second. "W-who's there?" 

The silence of the night greeted me.

Taking a step backwards, I cleared my throat to steady my shaky voice. Being dominated by a stranger because of my display of cowardness is certainly the last thing I needed right now.

"I know you're there. Who are you?" I raised my voice, not caring about my sleeping roommates. They have to wake up now, in case this guy might have some lethal weapons.

I shuddered. Lethal weapons.

I was suddenly scared about my life. 

What if I'll get killed?

What if I'll be stabbed by this unknown intruder, then leave me to bleed to death?

I felt all the color drained from my face. I instantly thought about my little sister.

Cynthia...

I was her only family left. I was the one whom she needed most in her life.

I wouldn't want to just, die. If tonight's my night, then I'll die fighting this bastard until my very last breath.

Wow, where did all of this come from? I was being a hero all of a sudd-

"Stand back, missy. Or else," the man threatened.