CHAPTER 2

YNNAH POV

I was lying in bed. Staring up at the ceiling. I've been awake for some time. I had that dream again. It wasn't a nightmare but still the dream bothered me so much I couldn't go back to sleep. I heard soft knocking on my door and my grandma's head squeezed through as she opened the door slowly.

"It's okay, grandma, I'm awake." I told her and I sat up from the bed, resting my back upon the headboard.

"Did I wake you up, dear?" she asked as she sat on a corner of the bed and planted a kiss on my forehead.

I shook my head. "So, how was it?"

She smiled sincerely but she couldn't hide the glint of sadness from her eyes as she said, "She misses you, Kristina." She reached for my hand and held it for a while. Then she drew circles on the back of my hand.

I chuckled upon hearing that but I didn't say anything.

"Have you had dinner?" I asked. Hoping she would just drop the topic earlier. And she did.

"Yes, dear."

"Okay, then lets get some rest. Tomorrow, I have to be at school earlier than usual."

She attempted to stand up but I held her hand. "Can you sleep here?"

She smiled, "Of course", and with that, she pulled her legs on the top of my bed and I snuggled close to her. She's always away on business that I tend to miss her a lot so the days she comes home, I would always ask her to sleep beside me. And she would never ever turn me down.

She was gone for 2 weeks this time. I am used to staying at home by myself but sometimes, I get too lonely at the sight of the empty rooms. That's why I asked for a smaller house. I couldn't afford to stay at the ancestral mansion where I have stayed until I was 9 years old.

There were too many memories plastered on those walls. Happy memories that pains my heart up to these days. 8 years of bliss that was replaced with grief in a short span of six months.

There was no melancholy in this house but whenever grandma was away, even this house seemed too big for just me.

Auntie Claire, our governess would send two or three maids to keep the house in order and make sure I got everything that I would need. They came here every time I was gone to school. But on my specific request, as soon as they are done dusting, doing the laundry and putting fresh linens on the beds, they would leave.

Grandma was now fast asleep. I looked at her. For someone who is 55, she looked ten years older. She's the reason why I study hard. I want to be able to take the load of the business from her shoulders. At her age, she should be enjoying her life. But instead, she has to take care of a whole industry of jewelries.

It started out as just a little hobby way back when grandpa left. To keep herself busy. She didn't really have to work back then. I give it to grandpa that he made sure grandma and mom was well provided for even if he left them. But she did it anyway because she said "it kept her sane."

And now look at where her little hobby took her. Hers was now the largest empire of jewelries all over the globe. She supplied the richest countries in the world. Even the royalties were her clients.

Everybody called her the 'Ice Queen' since she deals mainly with diamonds and crystals, hence the term 'ice'. And it might also be due to the fact that she never remarried or even dated anyone after my grandpa.

She claimed she had enough of the whole romance fiasco. That she could live on her own without needing a man beside her. Which she succeeded. I think she loved my grandpa too much that she was hurt when he left. But I never dared ask her. I didn't want to know.