i.

Ding.
Text message from: Josh
Where are you?

All I could see was water. Racing to the sand, then being yanked back into the ocean. The foam left a residue on the shore but seemed to disappear into the ground within seconds. Within moments there was no trace of it. Sometimes I had wondered what it would be like to disappear without a trace. To disappear in moments.

I took another drag. I could feel it running through my body, through my veins. A feeling I was almost too familiar with. The stench of the cigarette sent chills down my spine.

Ding.
Text message from: Josh
Seriously Jake. Where are you?

Ding.
Text message from: Sammy
Jake, don't do anything stupid.

Ding.
Text message from: Danny
Bro we are all worried about you. Just let us know if you're still breathing.

I didn't mean to blow them off. I just needed some peace and quiet. Alone time. Everyone does sometimes. At this point it was all I wanted.  I craved the isolation.

I knew Josh, Sammy, and Danny were worried so I fought against my thoughts. Pushing myself from the sand, I grabbed my phone and shoes and began dusting off my jeans.  Taking one last look at the ocean, I breathed in as much as I could before I took off to my car.

I pulled the keys from my pocket and unlocked my '76 Ford Torino. It was a gift from my uncle. He thought it suited me. I did too.

I chucked my phone and shoes in the passenger seat and turned the ignition. I could feel the engine vibrate throughout the car. I could feel the power radiating from the hood. It sent shivers up my spine.

I started down the road going 20. And then 30. 40. 50. 60. 70. I could feel the resistance of the wind almost begging me to slow down. I couldn't, I didn't.

The rush was too good. I sped down the road and felt something I had forgotten was even possible. Freedom. I felt like a bird in the sky, with no worries at all. Suddenly every thought that raced through my head vanished.

I could see a curve in the road coming up, and it was coming up fast. I wasn't sure if I could slow down quick enough. Ironic. I could feel a pit forming in my stomach as the curve inched closer and closer. Freedom never lasts for long. 70. 60. 50. The brakes gave out.

Ding.

That was the last thing I heard before I closed my eyes.

To be continued... This was a short chapter, I'm not sure if the next one will be short as well maybe I'll add some things. We shall see. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this.