ii.

It was white. All around me, pure white. I looked around frantically, trying to find something. Anything. "Where am I?" I thought out loud. Confusion engulfed me as I began to wander around.

I couldn't hear anything; I couldn't really see much in front of me either.  A wave of frustration washed over me as I failed to find any detail of where I was. Groaning, I swung around hopelessly.

"Jake..." I heard very loudly. "Josh..? Is that you? Where am I? What's going on?!" I yelled, in hopes of getting his attention.  No reply. Maybe this was some sort of dream? I couldn't see Josh, but I could hear him. Looking around, I realized he wasn't there.

I dropped to the ground, hugging my knees to my chest. I racked my brain trying to find anything that could possibly explain this. Then the memories began flooding back...

I was driving...fast. Did I lose control?......did I ever have any in the first place? I remember trying to slow down..and the brakes gave out on me. But what happened after that? None of it was making sense. There was no explanation for this.

"He—rest—take—recover—" A woman spoke loudly, but it seemed as if something was cutting her voice off? Like a radio station that went in and out.... I became even more confused. Where were the voices coming from? Why was I alone?

Confused, frustrated, and lonely I didn't know what to do. I felt helpless. I broke out into a sob, unable to handle the waves of emotions overcoming me. I felt my body jolting forward violently as hot tears ran down my face. "Why is this happening to me?" I thought.

Some time passed and so did the tears. I still hadn't been able to patch anything together, but I managed to control my emotions. If that's what you can call it. Angry, I thrashed around trying to find anything real. "HELLO! ANYONE!" I screamed. Still no response. "IM HERE!!" I yelled even louder, not sure if I could even get any louder than that.

Suddenly I felt a sting in my chest. At first it was brief and disappeared quickly, but it came back much more painfully. I gripped my chest and felt my knees buckle underneath me. I quickly threw my hand on the ground to keep me from face planting, but I was unsuccessful. "Clear!" A woman yelled, but I couldn't focus on anything. The pain was unbearable, it made my entire body feel paralyzed. It was like every ounce of strength in my body had been ripped away. I felt my face tense up, and the pain was gone. Just like that.

"Stable." I heard someone yell. "Who's there? What's happening to me?" I cried in confusion. It all felt real, the pain, the anger, the confusion...but was it? I was stuck in this white hell with voices that seemed to just appear out of nowhere and echo throughout the nothingness. It sounded fucking insane to me.

I didn't know what to do...so I ran. I ran as fast as I could, as far as I could.  I don't know what I was looking for, I don't know if I was looking for anything in particular. I just needed to try. Out of breath, I stopped and wiped the sweat from my forehead. Then it dawned on me. I was wearing the same thing from last night. All of it had to be a dream, it had to be. A small wave of relief washed over me. Maybe it was the wrong conclusion but it was a conclusion nonetheless. That was enough to keep me from driving myself insane, which I was on the brink of.

I laid down and closed my eyes. Maybe this time I'll wake up...

Suspense, anyone? Maybe next chapter it won't end with Jake closing his eyes.