Chapter One: A Slytherin's Misery

The Matsuzaki family was not normal

The Matsuzaki family was not normal. Born with abilities far different from the magic already in the world, the family were still considered an anomaly. While many saw their existence as blessed, proudly glowing with power. Some saw themselves as cursed, cowering in the shadows.

Words that so often described such a predicament? Desire and Despair.

The desire for more power and powerful children became vast as the years went. Less had been born with such abilities, dwindling the high status between family members. Greed had taken over their control. And yet, those born with abilities only suffered at the hands of their family or their curse itself. The despair sent them into complete madness.

Toshiko Anzai knew all too well of the Matsuzaki curse. Her beloved grandmother had fallen into the clutches of insanity herself. Her death plagued her mind, even after so long. A tragedy, some had said, but for Toshiko it was devastating. Her grandmother's death only proved the obsession for power the Matsuzaki's had. And when her great-granddaughter was born the fear inside Toshiko became overwhelming.

Rosemary Slytherin was cursed. While her birth was the light born in the darkest of times, it soon shifted into despair. The Wizarding World would be confined into chaos. Voldemort and his followers left no stone untouched.

Just a year after her birth, Rosemary's parents disappeared. An incident that would be the talk for decades to come. Rumours arose; however, no one knew the truth or perhaps they did and were too afraid to face the wrath of Aldrich Slytherin, Rosemary's grandfather.

Aldrich came from a family of pure-blood fanatics, who on most accounts were on the side of Voldemort. He— now the last male descendant of Salazar Slytherin— could not be any different from his family, a fact made clear by his mother, Toshiko.

Visions did not start haunting Rosemary until she was three. The toddler's screams would echo throughout Poppy Cottage, frightening everyone awake. Toshiko's fears had been answered. And no matter how much she tried to convince her son that Rosemary had inherited the Matsuzaki abilities, the proud man refused to acknowledge it.

"She is just a child." Aldrich would say.

"A child who screams in the middle of the night?" Toshiko would always answer.

Aldrich's inability to take the matter seriously frustrated Toshiko constantly; however, she understood he had his fears and concerns. So, she pushed the matter aside for the time being.

Even so, no one could have foretold what a young Rosemary saw the next year. The evening of October 30th changed everything...

Awoken by a nightmare with tears streaming down her face. Rosemary arose from her bed, feet touching the cold wooden floor. She made her way to the door of her bedroom and with a creek, she peered out noticing the kitchen light downstairs was on.