Chapter 3

It was probably the longest Chemistry class I had ever been in. I kept my head ducked low and worked ahead of the class as if that would get me out sooner. I had all these images in my head of Lucifer cutting up my essay or scribbling whole sections out with red ink. By the time class ended I was barely keeping myself from crying.

The rest of the students slowly filtered out of the room until I was the only one left. I walked to the front and slightly bowed to the teacher, "I'm sorry." She raised an eyebrow at me for bowing. I thought she was confused as to why I was apologizing. "I'm sorry for being late to class. It won't happen again, I promise."

"Oh, you're fine Jun. You're one of my best students this year. It wasn't a problem at all," She said.

"Okay." I didn't believe her.

I walked out of the class with my head hanging low then I remembered Lucifer still had my essay. I picked up my pace to get to him. He was still sitting at the table looking at his phone. I slid into the seat in front of him and immediately started talking. "How was it? Is it okay? Did you like? You hated it, didn't you? You threw it away because it was the worst thing ever to be written and no one should have to read it. I knew that would happen. I don't really blame you. I mean honestly, I'm not that good of a writer. I should probably stop and find a more practical career to go into."

"Junie," Lucie slid the paper across the table, with a comments sheet on top. "It was fine."

My head popped up, to look at him. "Was it? Is it?" He folded his arms and nodded toward the paper. I picked it up, and looked at the one word he had written: Better.

"Just 'better?'" I set it back down on the table. "So it really was horrible."

"Why are you in such a mood today?"

I laid my head down on the table. "What do you mean? I'm in a mood every day." Today really was a horrible day. It was only a quarter past nine and I already wanted to go home. I felt I needed to find a good place to hide to sleep or read. I felt either one would calm me down for a short time. I had gotten so little sleep the night before, I wrote a horrible essay that I would stress about for the next week until I received my final grade, and my chemistry teacher gave me a weird look when I apologized.

Wait. No. She didn't give me weird look because I apologized. I sat straight up in my chair and looked at Lucifer with wide eyes. He looked at me with equally wide eyes, surprised by my sudden movements. "I'm a moron." I stood up and grabbed my backpack and paper, and began walking toward the kitchen. There was a good chance I was going to take the keys from mom and go hide in the car.

Lucifer got up with me. He grabbed my shoulder and turned me to face him. "Okay, you are officially overreacting about the paper."

"No," I whined, "you don't get it! I bowed to my chem teacher when I apologized for being late. I bowed. She didn't raise her eyebrow because I was being a decent student, she raised her eyebrow because I was acting Asian."

He was trying to keep a serious face, but I could see he wanted to laugh. "I hate you." I turned and walked away.

"No. Junie, I'm sorry, but can you explain to me what you mean when you say you bowed?" He laughed throughout that entire sentence. I was standing next to mom, ready to ask her for her keys. "Junie--"

He put a hand on my shoulder, and I immediately swiped it off. "Stop calling me that! Gosh, you really are Lucifer."

Mom's head snapped up. "What did you just call him?"

"Nothing. Can I have the car keys?"

"Why?" She asked while handing me the keys.

"I'm just gonna go take a nap in the car." Lucifer was still standing there, but I couldn't find the energy to acknowledge him.