2 //

2 // Pris

Val lights up a new joint after finishing her makeup. I feel like I am getting a contact high, just by being in the room with her smoking all the time. The good thing is: Val is gorgeous. Light brown curly hair, a heart-shaped face and slender body. She's also quite sweet. I could really remove the smoking in our room part though.

Mac Demarco is playing in the background, on a record player, at a low volume. It calmly soothes the foggy room and reminds me of how brutally real college is. This is, in some ways, as predictable as I thought it would be as a scene. My roommate is high, an indie dude is playing on vinyl no less, and I'm stuck at 11 P.M. writing an essay for my English credit on a Saturday night.

"You sure you don't want to go to frat party?" Val asks me.

I take another glance at my essay. I've written one paragraph. While my high school self would have anxiously yelled out that I'm staying home, something about college makes you want to say 'fuck it' and deal with it later.

"Sure. I'll go actually," I reply, throwing on a pullover over my leggings and sliding into my slip ons.

Val tries to talk to me, but I am so distracted by that scene from two days ago that I end up nodding, and not paying attention whatsoever. First, Val has not talked about Jenny to me at all. But, Jenny has not been over or mentioned to me, so they must have discussed it. And since Val is acting normal around me, she must not care too much about the outcome of that date. Second, and more importantly, I am questioning what happened that night with Tony, Lana and Dani. The amount of coincidences was staggering. A bad date, that would lead to seeing those two, Dani is home yet not warned? It didn't feel random but I also am not accusing Lana and Tony of stalking. The only way to ease my thoughts is to text Lana and find out what is going on. I text her exactly what I'm thinking and why.

She answers, rapidly, "Tony and I agree that you'd be good for Dani but nah, we didn't set you up."

Well, that still explains some of their behavior. It was obvious that they wanted Dani and I to be alone. It's weird though. I haven't thought about Dani in so long until I saw her. And wow. She's gotten so much hotter. I feel bad for thinking that instinctively but we also use to have a lot of sex, so her physical appeal does kind of matter to me. Speaking of that, I really haven't had much going on in that regard in a while. I miss it. I tried hooking up with a random girl before I left high school, but it felt weird. I didn't get wet, at all. It was more frustrating than anything.

Val seems to be finishing up a story, "... yeah that concert was fucking wild dude."

"Yeah, it sounds like it," I lie, not having any clue what she was talking about.

"Are you excited about this party?"

"I think I'm a little nervous actually. I've never been to a college party like this."

"Not even during orientation?"

"Nope. I spent most of my time in people's rooms."

"That's fair. Um... these get kinda wild. Text me if you need anything," Val says before disappearing into a crowd of people inside the white fraternity house. I hadn't even realized that we had arrived.

The bass in the house is so loud that the floor has a light shake to it. The house is crowded with people playing beer pong, others are shirtless and chasing each other, others are just dancing and some are simply talking on the outskirts, trying to not be interrupting by how obnoxiously drunk most people seem to be.

At this point, I know that I'm basically at this party alone, which is a little terrifying. In the kitchen, I can see some people from my English class. I think it's safe to go talk to them. I make my way to this group of hipster girls, similar to Val's aesthetic, talking together, with beers in hand.