~3~

Betty was up all night. she couldn't sleep thinking about Toni wearing Jughead's shirt. she was well aware that he must of moved on, but Toni had been with Cheryl since high school, and she knew she wasn't the type to cheat. maybe they had a fling or something. God, she felt like a teenager again, only a normal one, one which didn't worry about fathers who were serial killers and murderers on the loose, but one that gossiped about who slept with who and who's going out with who. her mind kept going back to one place: does Cheryl know? she must know. she didn't seem to care seeing her wife wearing the shirt of someone she slept with in high school. maybe she didn't know it was his shirt. no, she definitely did, it was his signature S shirt. Betty decided instead of overthinking everything like she always does she would just give up and have a drink.

carefully, as to not make too much noise, she got up off the sofa and turned on the lamp and creeped her way to the kitchen. well, she called it a kitchen, it was more of a small bar with a fridge and cooker wedged onto the side. God, she thought, she'd been living with the Lodges for way too long.

she reached up to the top cupboard and grabbed a small glass. closing it quietly, she leaned down to open the bottom one hoping to find some alcohol somewhere. anywhere? she couldn't find any. deciding to give up and try and get some rest, again. she started walking for the sofa.

she jumped out of her skin when she heard footsteps, dropping her phone. Toni leaned down to pick it up off the ground. 

"sorry" she chuckled "i guess i'm just a bit on edge" betty said nervously, taking back her phone from the pink haired girl, and passing it from hand to hand.

"yeah, Riverdale does that to you" Toni said straightening herself up.

"i'm sorry did i wake you? i just couldn't sleep" betty explained.

"no it's fine. i don't get much sleep nowadays anymore with Jason waking up every hour." she said with a smile. "whats keeping you up?" she asked her, them both taking a seat on the sofa.

Betty panicked. she couldn't tell the truth, she'd tell Cheryl and she would have nowhere to stay. on the other hand, she wont be needing anywhere to stay if she can't sleep worrying her ass off.

"well, um, yeah. i was just wondering, um, why you have Jughead's shirt. and i'm only asking because of our history." betty was twiddling her thumbs, yet another habit one picks up when living in a hellhole for 5 years. 

"a few years back me and Cheryl got into a huge fight and she kicked me out for the night. i had nowhere to go so i went to the whyte wyrm." huh, we've all been there, betty thought. "Jughead offered me his room for the night and gave me some clothes to sleep in. i just never gave them back." suddenly, Betty felt a wave of guilt creep over her. she knew there had to be a reasonable explanation to it. "you know, betty, i know it seems like it but he hasn't changed all that much. you just have to remember that, you know, you broke his heart. it's gonna take a lot of grovelling to win him back." Toni said resting her hand on Betty's arm before getting up and quietly strolling her way back to her room.

(The morning after)

Cheryl handed Betty the pile of Toni's clothes for her to wear when she got out the shower.

"oh dear cousin, were gonna have to take you shopping." Cheryl said with a smile while she was changing a crying Jason's diaper. "no its okay i'll go myself, i know you and i know if i go shopping with you, ill get sucked into the Cheryl Blossom vortex and i do not have time for that, have you seen my phone?" she said with a chuckle, earning one from Toni who had just walked into the room. "its here" she said passing it back to Betty. " and don't worry love, you can borrow mine for a while since your practically my size anyway."

"okay guys, i have to get my ass down the Wyte Wyrm, ill see you later," betty said shoving her phone in her pocket and leaving the trailer. as she walked down the street, she remembered all the fun times she had with Jughead and her friends: Archie, Veronica, Jughead and Betty. the core four. the best friends. times change. she could still remember everything like it was yesterday. high school was the best time of her life, even though she spent the entire time wishing she could just get the hell out of Riverdale, the all round mutual Riverdale feeling. Betty told herself she would do anything to turn back time, to not leave Jughead and go swanning off with the Lodges as her mother called it. suddenly, a memory popped into her head, one she couldn't believe she had forgotten: 

Betty and Jughead were walking  together, hand in hand in the cold winters air. "so what are you gonna do about your mum?" Jughead asked the blonde with a sigh. "lets just not talk about anything absolutely crazy right now, lets just focus on us, together." she said with a smile on her face, stopping to look up at him. Jughead had never felt a feeling more overwhelming than what he was feeling in the arms of Betty Cooper. Betty Cooper. the perfect girl next door. his, perfect girl next door. thats why when he said the words he was about to say, he knew exactly what he wanted in his life, Betty, Betty, Betty.

"betty, i want to ask you something." he asked nervously, even though deep down he knew she would say yes." what is it jug?" she asked softly. "well, now that i'm the serpent king, i was wondering how you'd feel about being my queen." he watched the suprised smile grow on her face. "just know i don't need an answer right away, you can-..." she cut him off with a passionate kiss, one that they would cherish for the rest of their lives. "i don't have to think Juggie, i know, because i love you"