Chapter Thirteen

Jonathan Mayers had no idea where he was. All around him was thick dark smoke, which swirled around in slow, swirling motions. He called out, however his voice sounded \ as if he was speaking from a far off place; soft and muffled, clogged by the smoke.

Jonathan could barely see a foot in front of him. He walked forward, trying to find a way out of the smoke. However, it seemed infinite, consuming everything else that might be here. Surprisingly, the smoke did not affect his breathing; he could still inhale and exhale without difficulty.

Suddenly, he got a chill on his spine. Although he couldn't see anything, he instantly knew that there was someone, or something behind him. As he was about to turn around, he felt something latch onto his back, and he could hear the raspy breathing in his ear. Jonathan was terrified; what was this place, and what was this thing on his back.

The breathing suddenly stopped, and Jonathan felt the being release it's grip on his back. He instantly whirled around, but could still see nothing. Suddenly, he heard a voice come from the other direction.

" Well this is a pleasant surprise now isn't it?"

Turning towards the voice, Jonathan could just barely make out the silhouette of a figure standing within the smoke. He was about to try to call out in response, before the figure spoke first.

" I didn't expect you to come here so soon. Sadly, I'm not ready for you yet. You're gonna have to go back, right now."

With that, the silhouette faded away...but not before it delievered a warning.

" The trip back isn't going to be all to pleasant, though."

Suddenly, the smoke billowed, and as one entity, rushed towards Jonathan. Before he could react, the smoke hit him immediately, flowing down his throat, down his nostrils, filling his entire body. Jonathan was choking; he felt like was dying. His vision was fading....and his entire was burning....burning....burning....

With a scream, Jonathan leapt up from his bed. He looked around frantically, then, realizing he wasn't in any real danger. He glanced down at his shirt, which was drenched in sweat. After feeling his neck, to make sure it was in fact actually alright, he moved over so that he was sitting with his legs touching the floor.

It had all been a dream...but what exactly did it all mean? He went back to the shadow figure. Who or what exactly was he?

And what did he mean by saying he wasn't supposed to have it yet?