Chapter 9

Upon entering the old shop, an aroma of strange spices and exotix elements emanated the shop and greeted her nose. The protuberant smell enhanced her senses, ensuing her more alert. She settled to contemplating the miniature shop. Well, it would seem inadequate from outdoors, but stepping in seemed to maximize the compact perimeter a tad bit. She had truely arrived at an herbal center satisfactorily. Displayed from tables to wooden crates, bundles of dry florets also hung from cords, loosely tied. As she walked further along the rows of herbs, the names produced nothing for her knowledge of a certain herb.

As she was studying the different perennials and names, a figure walked out from the back door.

Noticing the only person in his shop, the old man startled upon seeing Aella in his store.

"Oh! Forgive me, my dear, for I did not hear you. A bit preoccupied, I was."

"All is fine." Aella smiled kindly.

The old man made his way behind the counter containing seeds of sorts. "Now then, was there something particular you were looking for?"

"Yes..." Aella came out  blank as she searched for what she needed. "I'm afraid I do not know the name." Her brows furrowed, looking upon the many herbs laid out.

In the silence, the old man smiled, having understanding the situation in his many years.

"Why don't you start by telling me the story?" The old man smiled kindly upon Aella, causing her to smile in turn with relief.

After telling of the symptoms and time of which it occured, he seemed silent.

Observing her words, he walked behind a display containing an array of seemingly fresh seedlings. He leaned down behind the counter, and brought out a small cloth wrapped package, and pulled the twine. He unfolded the cloth, revealing a very unusually acute herb.

She directed her gaze at herb with mild curiosity, and slight caution.

"Aetpian." He spoke suddenly, causing her to look up from the herb. "A new herb to this shop. Uf taken with alcohol, can be deadly. I did not have it on direct display, as I wanted to learn more about the properties before it was available for purchasing. Heaven forbid it chances upon the hand of someone with impure thoughts."

Silence commenced as she pondered over his words.

"It must be taken in proper dosage, but deadly if not measured out with a good hand." he says almost gravely. "This is a specific herb that must be measured out evenly, requires practice. It is categorically an herb used to torture irrefutable prisoners, which is why I have yet to make a decision on selling. A remedy must be consumed within the hours of dawn to dusk - no later, or the symptoms are fatal. No reserving, no amount of any antidote can save the patient. Not even any for of... healing." He looks more deeply at her, a hint of recognition capturing within.

She think back to Leon, how she left him, and counting the hours in between.

"Do you have a remedy?" Aella looks up timidly.

He smiles. "I do." He walks over to the next casing, and lifts a few seeds from a small pile. "Theonly antidote for aetpian, it seems. "He says as he hands them to her.

"You display this one to sell?" Aella asks with confusion.

"Yes, this is the only counter-herb for aetpian, but also works with herbal treatment and intense healing. Believe it or not, this is the property of which aetpian originates from. Only would it bloom, that the poison be treacherous, and thus aetpian was born." He holds his hand out. "Let me wrap that up for you."

"Thank you." she says as she places the seeds back in his hand.

"Has anyone come to acquire thus foreign herb?" Aella asks almost inquisitive.

"Nobody would even know about this herb yet, my dear." he said as he was wrapping the cloth containing the seeds with twine. "Although I found it odd to be missing a fraction of the portion brought in."

Aella's eyes narrow slightly with this newfound information.

'Who could it have been?'

Out in the town square, knights have rode in gathering much attention. As the head of the regiment unmounts his horse, he holds up a notice proclaiming the latest news from the castle.

"Hark!-" he announces, and the declaration starts.

As he continues, Aella and the shopkeeper are busy with talk to notice the happenings just outside.

"You said aetpian is a new herb?" Aella asks remembering his previous words.

"Yes, it was brought to Alveria recently by a visiting lord." he replies, handing her the wrapped cloth.

She takes a few specie, holding it out to him but he shakes his head.

"Consider it a gift. I've helped the former healer in my time of past. It is my honor to help the last." he says with a glimmering smile.

Aella looks into his eyes of light, a brightening smile replaced her thought-filled mien.

"Thank you." she whispers.

"You're welcome, my dear. 'Tis my job." he smiles in return.

"No, not just for the remedy." she says softly.

With this, the old shopkeeper smiles knowingly. "I know. And as I said, 'tis my job."

Aella blinks after his cryptic words, and looks into his eyes that beg for the past to stay in the past. With a curtsy, she heads toward the door before she turns around suddenly.

"You mentioned a visiting lord... Might you know a name?" Her curiosity getting the best of her.

"Lord Vaughan Laurentius." he replies.

"LORD VAUGHAN LAURENTIUS!" a shout comes from outside.

No sooner after the name leaves the old shopkeeper's lips, the head knight shout out the same name.

Aella turns and heads outside. She sees the knights retreating back to the castle, all on horseback. Walking where everyone had gathered, she advances toward the wooden bulletin. There, hanging on the town post, is a proclamation of a hanging to take place on the morrow. The hanging of a man by the name of...

Lord Vaughan Laurentius.