Chapter Eleven

Paul's dream was fulfilled. He'd wanted to be a knight for as long as he could remember, and now he finally was. After they had returned to the castle with King Brian's crown, he rewarded them all with knighthood. Paul, John, George, and Ringo were from that day forward Dragon Knights, and Paul felt as if he was floating through a blissful state for days afterward.

The group celebrated with waffles as they had agreed on.

"Excuse me, ma'am," John said to the waitress. "Could my next waffle be shaped like a dragon?"

"Sure," she said bashfully and hurried off.

"John," Cynthia said, smacking his arm playfully. "That's your fifth waffle."

"I don't care. I just like to see them all kinds of different shapes."

"You're making the cook slave away back there," Stu scoffed, cutting into his own waffle.

"But my waffles are unique. Yours are boringly square."

Stu rolled his eyes.

Maureen casted a look at George, who was staring out the window. "What's wrong with him? He's only eaten one."

Paul feigned a dramatic gasp. "Oh, dear! He must be sick! Hang on while I go fetch my thermometer." He made as if to stand up from his seat.

"I'm fine," George said. "Just daydreaming."

"He's probably replaying Mark's defeat in his head," Ringo laughed.

"I'm just wondering what I'll do next. I can't help but feel bored."

"Don't say it too loudly," Linda hissed. "Olivia will hear and assign you with housekeeping duties."

"Too late," Olivia grinned. "I heard."

George groaned. "I'm not bored, Liv! Promise!"

"I'm kidding, George," she laughed.

George's face relaxed. "Good, because I'm scared of vacuums."

"You took down countless monsters and the baddest necromancer in the kingdom, and you're afraid of a vacuum cleaner?" Stu said incredulously.

"Vacuums are scary," George said.

Ringo snorted.

Paul felt Linda's hand wander to his under the table and he smiled at her. Waffles, knighthood, a bunch of great friends, and a lovely girl. He had never been happier.