Twelve.

"I hate this town, it's so washed up, and all my friends don't give a fuck. They'll tell me that it's just bad luck. When will I find where I fit in?"

---

The Priest watch his son grab his coat from the far end of the room and raised a brow. "James, where are you going?" he called.

"Aleks invited me out."

"Well, you never asked me, son," the preacher huffed and crossed his arms, though it was safe to say that he wanted his son to break from his confinements and make friends, so this was nothing that he didn't ask for. In that case, he couldn't act too upset about it.

"He just called me up, I'm sorry," James lied with an apologetic smile and slipped on his coat over his shoulders.

After hesitating for a moment, his father finally nodded his head, "Oh fine. Go on then." He could never really be angry with his boy. So he patted him on the back as he grabbed his wallet and keys and slipped past the door.

Then he was gone, and ready to meet the boy who was probably the worst influence in the entire town. Apart from maybe Eddie, nor Kevin.

He shoved his hands in his pockets and sniffed slightly as his skin grew irritating and the day took a colder turn, which happened to not be much of a surprise when it came to Colorado, at least. 

So he walked quickly and his pace was timed with the offset and irregular, wild thumping of his heart. James was trying not to keep the other waiting and the last thing he wanted was to be late for Aleks. He wanted to calm down and think of a game plan, and ran the scenarios through his mind like a wildfire in the forest.

They all sounded dumb, to him anyway, and he realized that he had no real idea of what he was actually doing. So he breathed and cleared his thoughts. 

"James!"

Aleks was standing at the  edge of a curb and a wide smile displayed his perfect expressions. He sported a denim jacket, which made him look even bulkier compared to the older boy. 

"Oh.. uh, hi, Aleks." James began to mumble and walked the short distance to meet with the punk.

He fidgeted with his hands and resisted the urge to flick away a stray piece of hair. He was incredibly nervous now that he had this boy with him and they were on a labeled date.

"You look great," complimented the shorter boy, as they started to walk. James was on his heels and trying not to feel too out-of-place. Though, he managed to stammer out a, "Thanks, you too."

'Get it together, James.'

"Okay, firstly, I feel like an apology is in order." Aleks began to say, and James wondered where this was going, "I would really love to take you out somewhere better, but sadly, my funds are limited. Well, I can afford dinner, or maybe a film, but that's just really fucking boring and I guess everyone has done those things so often that it doesn't appeal to me."

James sighed and blinked a few times. He never knew that Aleks had such a soft side to him before, and he didn't realize that he would go to such lengths for him, since he wasn't anything special. Though, Aleks seemed to put him on a throne and with that said, James knew that he didn't need to do anything so special for a first date.

"I should take my boy out for a fancy meal, but that's just not us, you know? Well, maybe it's for you, James, but I can't see myself in an elegant French restaurant, or whatever," he shrugged for a moment and paused, "and maybe taking you out for a burger or something is just not good enough."

A smile began to creep onto James' lips as he listened to what Aleks was saying, and he never asked for anything so special. Anything was good as long as he was with Aleksandr, because he made everything feel just right.