Revelations

"We're.... We're here..." Kelan says, his words slow and full of wonder. He looks around, taking in every inch of the majestic walls known as Bastian's Keep. "It's...huge! It's no wonder this place was mankind a ultimate defense against the Barbarians."

"And yet it nearly fell a few times." I ruffle his hair with a soft smile. "Let's see if anyone can lead us to the crater, yeah?"

"Ok... Hey, mom?"

"Hm?"

I give my son a brief glance as I bring our carriage go a halt just outside of the gates, watching one of the guards move close to us, weapon hanging by his side and a stern look on his face. With worry I turn around seeing the young adult stare outside with no emotion in his eyes and the corner of his lips pulled down ever so faintly.

"... I don't think we should go on... Something isn't right..."

Before I could inquire about his statement, the man pulled my attention to him. "Please state your business, miss. And I will need to take a look inside the carriage."

"Oh... Of course... Uhm, me and my son wish to travel to the Arreat crater... He's always wanted to see it." I lie at the end, giving them a convincing smile.

The guard asks no further and begins inspecting our ride, looking inside and under it, carefully browsing our bags until he comes across our weapons. With furrowed brows he looks at me, wordlessly asking me to explain the content of our inventory. I idly tell him about how we're sorcerers in training and always keep protection with us in case we run into trouble such as bandits or hungry critters of the night. Sensing no lie in my words he allows us to proceed after whispering something to his partner, who rushed inside before we are granted access.

I can sense the mans suspicion as we pass through the gates, but I find no need in giving it any thought or concern, we are peaceful travelers no matter what they might think. I guide our carriage through the narrow streets between the barracks and few civilian hovels, my sons and my own mood waning at the look of the grey walls. Everything here feels like a typical military base; it's monotone and everything in neat and perfect order. Weapon racks in the streets are filled with various sharpened swords and pikes, some had the one or other bow and crossbow, but nothing stands out in particular. Everyone here speaks in hushed tones and the only sounds of fun came from drunken fools and giggling barmaids from the seemingly only tavern in this place, located near the entrance to the fortified walls.

In other words, this place is beyond dull.

New comers aren't welcome here either, judging by the looks of the militia and the glares of women, who hold their children protectively in their arms as we pass them by. I ignore them and head straight for the next gates, already tasting the stench of the foul air surrounding my true destination. The demon war that was waged here long ago still proudly displays the scars in the land and air that it brought with it and it's nearly nauseating.

Reaching the wooden doors, we both exit our ride and gather our few belongings, intending on continuing our journey on foot, it's only a two hour walk from here to the crater. Kelan has been eerily quiet ever since we entered the border to the Dreadlands, but I have no intention of making a fuss of the matter, if he needs to tell me something he is the last person who wouldn't speak up. With no further delay we make our way into the barricaded maze of corridors and armories, being greeted by many friendly soldiers and not so benevolent ones.

That is until we reach the main hall, a large room filled with a few traveling merchants who set up their small stalls, a large fire pit in the middle to keep the place warm and of course more armed men, either patrolling or nonchalantly chatting with one another. We pay them no mind and head to the only exit, a large wooden draw bridge that is closed for the moment. I explain to the guard that we are allowed to pass outside and while I discuss our reason if visit--the man obviously aiming to stall us for some reason--I see Kelan wandering off a bit. He stops at a weapon shop, interested in one of the items on display.