Chapter 18

...his vote now counts as two?
That meant...that meant she could die. They could be outvoted and lose in an instant.
But Felix hadn't planned on her as the voting victim.

Three votes- Felix and Livia's- written down as Arianna-- Arianna??- smacked her in the face as she hurried to the voting booth. She couldn't believe it- Arianna couldn't die. Not when they were so close. Not when they had almost won.
"Fun knowing y'all." Arianna- "Good luck losing."
Max burst into tears. "There are no rules in this game, you don't have to listen...please..." she begged, tears already started to flood her face. Arianna, die? How could such a thing happen??
Arianna wipes her tears away gently. "Hey," she said soothingly. "Hey, just win. You know what to do. I'll be fine." she said reassuringly.
Max's crying reaches a shrill level at her words said so casually, as if going to die was as calm as going to the store. "NO!" she screeched, and took a deep breath. "No," she repeated. "We are doing this together. As a TEAM." she said fiercely. Arianna had always been there for her, in the background. She was the one who knew her role, and who Max could confide it.
She didn't want to face the end alone.
"But we can't, I'm going to die no matter what...." Arianna said.
Max's eyes widened in terror, and an image of Arianna's bloody body, empty of life and strung on a rope flickered horribly before her eyes.
She pushed Arianna angrily away from her, covering her ears.
"NO!! Since when did we have to listen to the rules? SINCE WHEN DID WE HAVE TO LISTEN TO ANYONE? Please," Max switched from anger to begging in an instant. "Don't give up. I'll find a way. I AM finding a way. Don't give up."
Max shot an icy glare to Felix and Livia, who had voted Arianna, to indicate they should change their votes and fast.

But at the end of the day...
Arianna was gone.
And Max was left behind.

Can you finally feel something?
Sadly, it's too late.
-X-Tale