Chapter 1- Welcome to Hell

"Emilia... Emilia!" My name... The sound of my name wavers in and out, almost as if in a dream. What the..?

I let out a small noise of complaint as I roll over in my sleep, and my eyelids begin to flutter open. I swear, whoever is waking me up this early- I pause at that, noticing a pair of bright green eyes staring at me in concern.

"Emilia, finally you're awake." The small girl let out a sigh of relief, still looking a bit upset. I wonder what's wrong.

In case you're wondering, this is Amy, a sweet little girl who I think of almost as a little sister. She's about 10 years old and lives in the orphanage along with me.

I gave her a gentle smile, anger immediately replaced with weary contentment. "Hey, Amy. What's up? Why did you wake me up this early?"

Her gaze apprehensively shifted to the door where an unwelcome guest stood, hinting the answer to my tired question. Standing in the doorway was none other than Evelyn. Evelyn is a tall, thin woman with blonde hair (usually clipped into a makeshift bun), with large glasses covering her green eyes.

If I had to guess, she's probably in her mid-thirties, but the bags under her eyes add about 5 years. She's the one who runs this hellhole.

"Emilia, what did I tell you about sleeping in? You missed breakfast for the 5th time this week!" Evelyn sighed in an exhausted tone, not even caring to properly scold me. I never listen when she does anyways. What's the point?

Sitting up in my bed, I shook my head. I've done it again. It must have been the time I spent awake last night that caused me to sleep in.

"Yeah, yeah. I get it. Can you please just give me some time to wake up?" I asked, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"Fine.. Amy, come with me. The others are waiting for you." She ushered the young girl over, who looked back towards me regretfully, but did as she was told.

Frowning deeply, I looked over to the other side of my tiny room where the mirror was, seeing just as I expected. My hair was a mess, and pyjamas were wrinkled.

Grudgingly, I pushed myself out of bed, running a brush through the tangled mass of coppery brown hair.

As I brushed, I looked back into the mirror once more, this time not seeing my reflection, but my Mum's for a split second.

My god. I swear I'm looking more and more like her every time I look into this damned thing.

A wave of emotion came over me as my eyes moistened a bit with tears, which I quickly blinked away. No.. Not right now.

Taking a deep inhale to steady myself, I dropped my brush and stood up, walking over to my pitifully small, beaten old dresser.

I took many of my frustrations out on this dresser in the past, which definitely showed in the endless marks and scratches in the wood.

Pulling out an oversized sweatshirt and some patterned leggings, I quickly got dressed, and made my descent down the stairs, where everyone seemed to be in a bit of a commotion. For a second, I considered walking back upstairs, but continued back down anyways out of curiosity.

The sight before me made me convinced that I was still half asleep, but unfortunately, it was real.

"How..?" I muttered in a perplexed tone, eyes widening a bit.

Standing right in front of me was the people I never expected to see so close. They were...