o n e - that boy

Lee Nara

"Miss It's time to eat your medicine."

The nurse who takes care of me since the accident handed me a glass of water with the medicine.

There was too much medicine that I don't know which one is supposed to heal what but I ate them without hesitation.

I swallowed the medicines and handed her back the glass. She took it and left the room.

The silence was like my best friend, the only thing presented in this white room was silence and my weak body. I'm on a wheelchair.

It's been already 5 weeks that I sat on this chair. This chair took me wherever I want to go.

I placed my hand on the wheel of each side and pushed forward. I pushed myself to the big window and looked outside.

The sunshine of the afternoon, the light wind that blew on the flowers, the huge garden which every patient has been, this view..... I have seen it so many times that I can't even count.

They told me that I crashed. I still don't know how and why but someone found me and took me to the hospital. I did get surgery and now I just have to let my legs recover.

The doctor said that I have to do some exercises to be able to walk again but now I still have to get everything to heal, my body, my soul, and my mind...

I don't have friends cause the patients here were way older than me. They were nice of course but we didn't have the same type of stuff to talk about.

I hope to get someone to talk to me...

I sighed at the boring moment, I hate the hospital. When I will be out of here I'd feel free.

I called my nurse to take me outside so she came and pushed the wheelchair to the garden, the cold wind touched my skin. I feel alive again.

I looked around the garden, there's not too much person but still complete the whole place.

"You can go now, thank you..." I exclaimed to her and she nodded before bowing and walked away.

I have a little secret in this garden. This huge garden has a fountain and in this fountain, I have a little animal. It's a turtle that I named Toto, you might find it weird but I found it cute.

He was always there in the fountain waiting for me to come to him every day. I pushed my wheelchair to the fountain and stopped at the edge as I couldn't go further.

I snapped my fingers and the turtle came out of the water, a smile appeared on my lips.

"Hello, Toto! Did you eat well?" I couldn't go any farther because my wheelchair was too big, I just watched Toto walking slowly on the edge.

I lifted my hand and tried to reach my turtle. My other hand on the arm of the wheelchair as I lifted my butt from the chair, I couldn't reach it but I still try.

Nara, you can do it!

I told myself that but it was too hard.

My hand slipped from the chair and I fell on the floor.

"Ouch!!!" I shouted as I reached the floor.

"Are you okay?" I looked up seeing a boy who was standing there since I was here.

The question was why didn't he help me?

"Do I look like I'm okay?" I rolled my eyes and sighed as I can't get up by myself.

I saw the nurse running towards me with a worried face.

"Miss!!!" She came and helped me up sitting back in the wheelchair.

With that, she pushed my chair back to the hospital while I was staring at him until he disappeared from my eyes.

*****

The morning came, I heard that there was a new patient who just came yesterday and he was in the next room. I didn't care but the nurses did, they were saying how handsome he is.

It was time for the check out of the day, the nurse brought me to the waiting room. I just waited there looking around until someone walked in and sat beside me, I was just in my thought until the person said.

"Good morning." It was a boy, I turned my attention to him, he was the boy from yesterday.

The one who was standing there in the garden letting me fall on the ground without doing anything.

"Morning." Since I was polite, I decided to respond. If not, he won't get to hear any sound from my mouth.

I just stayed silent but he started to speak again.

"Are you okay?" He asked me.

I turned to him giving him a disbelieving look.

"After what you did yesterday, yes!" I said sarcastically before turning my face away.

"Why are you so mad?" He chuckled softly.

"Because you saw me falling but instead of helping me you just stood there and watched me!" I whined to him.

"How am I supposed to help you?" I scoffed.

"Well help me to get up? At least..."

"I mean how am I supposed to help you when my whole arm is kinda broken? I don't want to be rude but also think about my pain " I looked at him then down to his arm.

Why didn't I notice that he has bandages???

"Anyway..." I ended the conversation.

"What were you trying to do? You know that you're on a wheelchair for something but still want to get up?"

"I was trying to reach my friend."

"Your friend? I saw no one in front of you yesterday... I heard you talking...Wait, are you crazy? Or can you talk to ghosts???" He asked excitedly.

I rolled my eyes.

"I was talking to my friend Toto and he is a turtle in the fountain." I glanced at him, he seemed so shocked about it.

"Turtle?" He repeated.

"Weird right? I know...I just don't have anyone to talk to than him." I told him.

"It's not weird, but the fact that you are friends with him, yes."

***********

Hello there! Thank you for reading this chapter, if you like it please leave a comment and a vote.

I love you all.

A.