Prologue

the music was loud, the drugs were potent, and the laughter was ringing through out the thick, smokey air. Scarlet, a small framed, energetic girl sat in a circle with another group of people, a blunt being passed around. The smoke whispered around her ivory hair, raising up to the clear, blue sky. Slowly she stood, dancing around the circle of people, singing along to the song that was playing, letting the wind hit her skin, and feeling the grass beneath her feet. 

"Aurora" Scarlet said speaking to her sister that sat across from her. "Aurora" she stuttered, her sister finally looked over, giving her a look as if to say "what." Scarlet smiled at her younger family member and began to talk. "We have a protest to go to, the protests against you know, the draft" Said Scarlet, talking about the newest injustice the American people were facing, the Vietnam war, where young and old men were forced to fight. Scarlet, and the rest of her friends didn't like this idea, and had attended protests on top of protests attempting to spread their idea of peace and love to all. 

As Scarlet put back on her shoes she walked to her old beat up car, there were flowers painted on it, and other designs the random people of the many music festivals she had gone to painted in a drug induced state of artistic genius. 

As they slowly approached New York City the crowds became larger, and every street had a different activity occurring. "Let's find a street where they're burning draft letters" Scarlet spoke to Aurora, she nodded as they climbed out of the car.   

People were singing, placing flowers on the guns that were facing towards their heads, others were burning the draft letters, speaking their mind, saying their piece of why this was wrong, why this should not be forced on a nation that prides itself for being founded on freedom and justice. One boy-he had to be just that, no older than eighteen-caught Scarlet's eye in particular, and as Aurora kept walking, she stopped in her place and listened to what he had to say. He sat on the street, a circle of flowers surrounded him, his draft letters at in front of him, his audience wasn't screaming, nor were they pushing and shoving like the many others were around the men who were giving their loud, angry speeches. 

"I have lived my short years on this Earth as a humble person, or at least I want to believe that is the case. I have always tried my hardest to be grateful, to never be disrespectful, I've made my luck, and I've failed at making my luck." This boys voice was deep, smooth, it was calming to listen to. He spoke kindly towards the people listening. "Now" he said looking down at the piece of paper he held in his hand "now I have a death sentence sent to me, written out in words, disguised as a call of patriotism, and signed by the president of the United States of America, which is supposedly the greatest country in the world" As Scarlet listened she nodded in agreement, his words mirroring her own thoughts.

 "I do not agree with this, I do not want to go to a far away place and fight a war that is not mine to fight, they say it is noble, that it is done for us the people, but what benefit is sought out for us. We are the foot soldiers that march to the sphere, to our ends ,we are feeding into the greed of the corporations, and the gluttony of the American government." the boy's voice was rising now, still calm but louder, more forceful. Cheers came from the growing audience. The boy sat, looking into the crowd, "burn it, burn it" they began to chant, and as the boy held up the paper, and took his lighter to it, the paper went up in flames ,and one word was spoken by him, "freedom."