II.

Because I couldn't just leave Yves alone, nor could he go back home, after standing in silence for a moment, we decided to go to Ben's house. Ben Faulter was Yves's rather haughty and pompous best friend. They had known each other for years, surely he could help us!

We walked up to the cottage - style home and rested hesitantly on the wooden stairs. Yves bit his lip for a moment before knocking on the door with three swift knocks.

The white door creaked open, Ben leaning lazily against the frame. His chocolate hair was mussed atop his head, and his plaid pajama pants laid dangerously low on his chiseled hips.

"Long time no see," he said, examining us.

He let us in, locking the door behind us. We sat on on the couch, and I was afraid to move. Yves had always told me about the plethora of porcelain dolls that Benjamin's mother has collected, but I never thought the abundance would be to this extent. Everywhere I looked, the beady eyes of the collectibles were peering down on me, all of them seemingly clad in Victorian- esque clothing.

"So what's up?" Ben said finally.

Yves cleared his throat before explaining the situation to him. Ben's once neutral face was replaced with a more crestfallen look. His hazel eyes were now glassy with concern, before finally standing.

"Damn. Well, uh I'm sorry. Give me a minute," he said, rushing upstairs.

We waited for a few minutes, until Ben ran back downstairs, fully dressed. He threw a large black backpack at Yves, grabbing his car keys off the mantle.

"What's in the bag?" Yves questioned. "And where are you going?"

"Food. And we're going on a trip. I'm not sure where yet, but come on, let's go."

Perplexed, Yves and I stood from our seats, following the brunette to an all black van. We got in, Ben in the drivers seat, while Yves and I opted for the backseat.

"Awh," Ben pouted as he started up the ignition. "No one wants to sit next to me?" His voice was laced with sarcasm as he pulled out of the driveway.

We drove aimlessly for hours, coming on and off of highways, making random turns, and stopping ever so often for bathroom breaks.

It had been a rather silent ride, only the sound of the radio quietly playing keeping us company. My stomach growled, and I frowned. I reached for the backpack, pulling on the zipper. At first glance, there was nothing inside but Cheeto puffs, graham crackers, and Blue Snake energy drinks.

I dug to the very bottom, pleased as I pulled up a bag of Sun Chips. I ate quietly until the van came to a halt. I glanced out of the tinted window, and saw nothing but trees ahead.

"We're stopping here for the night," Ben yawned.

"I-in the middle of a forest? Are you sure it's safe?" I asked, worried.

"Well unless you're gonna get up here and drive, I advise you shut your ass up," he retorted, his voice snarky.

Taken aback, I leaned back in my seat, letting the darkness take over me, the sounds of Yves's soft snoring lulling me to sleep.

-

AN:

Longer chapters ahead :)