Chapter 10

Harper paced up and down in her living room. She was contemplating whether what she was going to do was a good idea. She turned on the TV to try and distract herself.

"This is the 6 O' Clock News, with me, Indira Saflon. Reports have been sent out stating that a Scientific and Engineering based Company, EACP, have had one of their Projects stolen. The Project itself has not been revealed but they have said they are handling it and that the Police needn't get involved as they have private authorities dealing with the situation. We'll update you on any other information we find out. Now we're heading over to Michael Goal, for the Football Highlights."

Harper quickly turned the TV off, worry consuming her. "This is bad. This is really bad..."

"What's bad?", asked Lily, a concerned look on her face. This surprised Harper because she wasn't aware that Lily was capable of feeling such emotions. Maybe there was hope.

Harper smiled to hide her previous emotions. "Oh, it's nothing Lily"

Lily frowned. "I'm not a baby. You brought me here. I still don't know why but you did. You keep hiding stuff from me. What's wrong with me, Miss C? Why do I have to hide away? A-Am I a monster?"

Harper's heart broke. She stood up and walked to Lily, pulling her into a hug. "You're not a monster. Lily I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I don't want to keep things from you but it's the only way I can keep you safe"

Lily gently pulled away. "I'm wires, Miss C. That's all I am. Wires and other cables. I don't want to be safe anymore. I want to live."

Harper couldn't control her tears and let them roll down her cheeks. Every month she spent with Lily was spent praying that she wouldn't feel like this one day. And she did. It had to stop.

"Lily, I don't want you to be upset. I'll tell you everything, ok?", said Harper.

Lily smiled a little and nodded, sitting down. "Thankyou, Miss C"

Before Harper could speak, there was a knock at the door. Harper got up and peeped through the blinds, sighing with relief when she saw that it was only Safya and Nick. She held up her finger to indicate to Lily to wait a minute. She walked to the door and opened it, quickly ushering them inside before they could say hi.

Nick and Safya, both surprised, made their way into the living room. Nick smiled at Lily and sat next to her. Safya also smiled at Lily but she sat on the opposite end, as there wasn't much room.

"I'm glad you're both here because there's something I have to talk to you all about", said Harper, the nerves clearly audible.

Safya and Nick exchanged curious looks before looking back at Harper.

Harper took a deep breathe. "Have either of you heard of EACP?"

Nick nodded. "That company on the news? My mum messaged me about it"

Safya nodded, agreeing. "Mine too."

Harper nodded. "Ok, so...I work for the company."

Nick and Safya's eyes widened, pure shock consuming them. The look on Harper's face told them that she was being serious.

"And the Project I took is... Lily"

Nick's mouth flew open and he turned pale. "Wh-what?"

Harper took a deep breath. "She's the Project. Project M1RA. She was designed to be incredibly beautiful. People would pay thousands to have the kind of face she had so she would be examined and her beauty would be replicated. The problem was, they didn't bother making her intelligent. They said she'd only be used for looks. I couldn't stand by that so I took her. She's not my cousin's daughter. I'm so sorry for lying to you both. I just wanted to protect her."