Kidnapped Part 1

I woke to the sound of Scott's voice. A dull murmur that lingered endlessly on the edges of my consciousness. He was whispering into the phone on the other side of our bed, perched on the edge of the bed, I could just make out the outline of his shoulders in the early morning glow. I watched him for a while. Thinking. Admiring the way his neck twitched in frustration, or the way his bare back curved down to the edge of the bed in such a way that you could make out the sinewy muscles and coiled tension that they held. Or the way his hands moved to smooth out the fluffed pillow hair in moments of silence on the other end of the phone. So many familiar things, in such an unfamiliar scene.

Thinking about all of this had my nerves on edge. I could feel the realization that today was really happening flipping in my stomach. I wiggled the engagement ring, watching the dim light refract into the blond hair on Scott’s head, knowing that by tonight, it would no longer be the only ring on that finger.

Scott’s the love of my life, at least I think he is. I've never really had the chance to know I suppose; we've been together since the sixth grade. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I just felt weird knowing that today's THE day. The normalcy of being woken by Scott’s early morning calls, reminded me that this still moment of peace was going to be short lived. I guess work never stops. We weren't doing it traditionally, everyone knew we wouldn't. Turning up together had seemed like such a great idea, we both didn't want this to be some big soiree or whatever. But now I questioned whether there was some beauty in the surprise of him seeing me for the first time.

I stood in the shower, taking extra long. He could wait. Besides, Scott would be on the phone for his usual hour, no doubt organizing all the last minute details. All our friends, our parents and a couple of others, including my godfather, everyone had to be double-checked. The warmth of the water had done nothing to calm my tingling nerves.

Critically, I assessed the damage of last night’s hens night, plucking at the purple bags beneath my eyes and haphazardly trying to rub some colour back into my face. I got out and put on my makeup, picking out a champagne and peach eye shadow, and lining the top of my eyes with eyeliner. Just enough to make my eyes pop. I picked out the cherry blush and swept it over my cheeks, before applying a thin layer of peach gloss. Stepping back, I realized there was no makeup in the world that could truly hide the damages, but it was as close to perfect as I could get.

My brown hair flowed in waves from the bathroom’s humidity, allowing me to pin it with the clip my parents had given me for my nineteenth birthday last year, letting the fringe fall loosely to the side. Hurriedly putting on the finishing touches, I concluded I was decent and ran out to the bedroom, glancing at Scott who was now off the phone, getting dressed.

He certainly was something to look at, all through high school, I'd been that unobtainable girl because of Scott and he'd been that guy that all the girls lusted after.

Yep, that six pack was niiiice to look at.

Scott had already laid out the fitted white dress. I paired it with gold heels, before grabbing the white gossamer veil and holding it out to Scott.

“Please? Just like I showed you.” I turned around to allow Scott to clip in the veil. My senses running on edge as he trailed his hands down my bare neck afterwards, teasing me.

“You’re finally all mine,” he breathed onto my shoulders, his breath warm. His hand moved down lower, tracing my arms. “You know, we could always be late.”

I flipped around, grabbing his hands. “Not a chance, buddy.” I placed the gold tie in his hands instead.

"Really? Matching? Come on Haley we're not married yet, let's leave all that jazz until we're like fifty." Scott grinned at me.