Chapter 3

“Yo Lid. Where’s Ash?” Jen calls as she pulls herself out a piece of gum.

                “Dunno’. Getting changed.” As I shrug, I feel like I’m a totally different person. Evil, standing up for what I finally deserve. Not being the one bossed around. I’m loving it.

                “Well, you’ll have to do as my partner then.” It sounds mean, but I’m over it. And she links my arm and passes me a piece of gum, so that has to be a good sign. As for Ashley’s appearance, also a good sign.

                Sport bores me, other than the idea of getting some fresh air. I’m a slow runner and I’m clumsy with a ball. Jennifer is a graceful runner, and with the length of her shorts - not to mention the tightness of them and her top, the guys loves the way she runs also. She sure could catch a ball, and throw far, but she often rejects the offer due to her manicured nails. It’s different today though, because we’re focusing on soccer. Mr Gromit isn’t impressed due to my lack of runners. Navy converses are the closest thing I have to it though. What’s the point though? It’s not like I’ll ever use them. Maybe to walk Humphrey, my dog. I’m not into running or anything fast-paced. I can’t stand the feeling of losing my breath. It feels everything but natural.

Another idea of the ‘un-natural’ is Mr Gromit’s rumoured reputation of being a gay paedophile. It’s because he often ask the guys to do more things than girls – which I reckon is the stupidest accusation assumption.  

“Alright Ryan, you look like a strong young man. Mind getting the ball sack out of the closet?” You should’ve seen Mr Gromit’s utterly perplexed face when people fell on the floor crying. Others backed away nervously – their eyes darting from Mr Gromit, to the change rooms. With courage pushed on me out of nowhere, I rolled my eyes and went into the sports closet. It’s not really a closet, more like a small bedroom filled with sport equipment here and there. A green bag with a little soccer emblem catches my eye at the top of a shelf. I’m not short, but I’m nowhere near tall enough to reach it. I pinch it in between two of my fingers and tug on it a little. It moves a few inches before I tug to the point a large sack of soccer balls are plummeting towards my head. Before I can react, a pair of thick arms stretch above me, supporting the bag before it hits me.

“Whoa, careful there,” it’s a deep voice. It’s masculine. A boy? Talking to me?

“Oh…uh…sorry,” is all I can say. “Thank you.” I step out from under his arm, toned with nothing but muscle. He snorts at my awkwardness.          

“Hey Lidia.”

“Hello Shaun.”

“What’s happening?”

“Not much.” I’ve known Shaun for the past nine years. I was never friends with him back in primary school – I’ve never had a guy as a friend, but I’ve known him long enough to almost be one. Only he’s changed in the past couple of years. The once chubby, peach cheeked blonde boy has toned into a much stronger, attractive man. Not that I’d waste my time fantasizing about him - like I’d ever have a chance. Although despite his strong figure, greeney-blue eyes and now dirty blonde hair, he’s not the type to go out with a girl…well…I find it hard to imagine. He is quite confident though, and maybe a flirt, but he’s one of the only guys Jen hasn’t asked out in our year. Why that is…well, I’m not too sure maybe. Maybe she knows he’s not the relationship type…although neither is she. Well, who knows?

When we walk back out to the gym, our class is gone. Not even Jen has bothered waiting for me. My cheeks suddenly redden. Is this some sort of setup? The whole class is probably hiding like some sort of surprise party, just to see how awkward I’ll act around Shaun.