Never Let You Go

Enoch's POV about Olive

I was in the dozy in-between place just before I drifted off into sleep when there came a knock at my door. At first I thought I had imagined it, but the almost unheard whisper that followed jolted me awake. When Olive was younger, well she never aged but a few years of loop time ago, and used to have nightmares, she would sometimes come into my room and get into bed with me. We'd just lay next to each other and the comfort of each other's presence lulled us both to sleep. I don't remember the last time Olive had come into my room at night but tonight was different.

Standing there in her pyjamas, with her hair still perfect and her makeup not taken off, I knew she hadn't gotten any sleep. It was past midnight but Olive looked as if she hadn't even tried to sleep. I got out of bed and stood close to her by the door. She hadn't moved since I opened it and her face remained stony and expressionless. I put my arm around her tiny frame and we sat on the edge of my bed.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" I didn't want to upset her because then she'd retreat and I wouldn't be able to find out anything but I wanted to know what had upset her.

"Not just yet." It was barely a whisper but I understood. Then the mask broke and soon the tears came. She looked so vulnerable and I didn't know how to stop her crying.

I wrapped my arms around Olive and hugged her tightly. Her frail body was shaking with the sobs she had tried so hard to suppress. I stroked her hair and closed any inch of space left between us. Her crying subdued and the tears fell silently into my chest. My shirt was damp but her warm body pressed up against mine made it comforting. I noticed the little things in the hugs and realised just how much she meant to me. The way my chin rested on the top of her head. The way her arms were almost too short to go all the way around me. The way her hands gripped my shirt so tightly as if she never wanted to let go.

Despite the circumstances, this moment was perfect and I never wanted to let Olive go. Her shoulders relaxed and her grip loosened around me. They way she looked up at me with her big watery eyes set my heart on fire and her attempted smile through her sadness gave me hope that she would be alright. She was so strong. So strong and beautiful and I loved her with all of my heart. Even with the makeup running down her face and red blotchy patches decorating her cheeks, never had she looked more beautiful to me.