Living Oblivious

I pulled my hair out of its bun, how it should be worn. Technically it was not even allowed to be up, but I trusted my family to not report me.

"Zelena, it is time for school," my mom warned. I am a Sagittarius, we're supposed to be late to everything. My school is supposed to start at 7:15. But, my entire school doesn't show up until at least 7:30, so doesn't that make us on time? I'm not supposed to question the Zodiac System, but I was never good at abiding by rules.

I'm not sure if you are aware but there are 12 signs of the zodiac. Pisces, Sagittarius, Libra, Leo, Aries, Gemini, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Taurus, Aquarius, and Capricorn. They're different "sections" over here. If you're a Capricorn, you live in the town of Capricorns, and live their lifestyle. I don't know about any other section besides my own, it is not allowed. Every year the seniors in high school are put through an academic test that tells you what you are going to be when you grow up, who you will be with, and how many kids you will have. In my section, we are made of writers, actors/actresses and professors. I am currently in my senior year, so I guess I will be one of the three.

I see the time is 7:25, so I grab my assigned black hoodie, and start my walk. All the other Zodiac Signs schools are aligned and we're not to look at each other when we walk in. So, we all where the same black hoodie, so we don't draw attention to ourselves. Once inside we are allowed to take it off.

I arrive at my school and my curiosity takes over. I look to my right at all the other schools, in a perfectly straight line and wonder what they look like inside. The outsides are beautiful, and certainly unique. Each school has its zodiac symbol on it. I hear a guard rushing us into our school and immediately face forward. I do not want to be one of those unlucky people who are killed out of their curiosity for other signs.

Once in school, I immediately take off my black sweater and shove it in my locker. Looking around for familiar faces I spot my best friend, Tia. The thing about having a "best friend" that is in your same zodiac is you tend to have the same thinking habits. So whatever I think, most likely she agrees with, which is why we don't have many arguments or fights. I guess that is for the best but, it gets boring.

She doesn't say much when she gets to me, I guess she senses my mood. We silently walk together to my next class, which happened to be Honesty. We have normal academic classes as well, but they want to make sure our personality fits the Sagaittarius quota. I'm telling you, being under the command of the government is like being in the army.

Sitting in my class, I can almost feel myself dozing off. For 3 years this class has been teaching me the same thing. "Honesty is the best policy." I appreciated the life lesson, but HONESTLY, it got boring. Being a Sagittarius, I hate being bored, which is about the only thing I share with my signs traits. Besides my ability to manipulate electricity. Only some people were born with the gift, and I happened to be one. Sagittarius' were born under a certain planet, which was represented by Zeus.

So if I think hard enough I can imagine the spark inside of me and manipulate it to do a lot of things. I could cause illusions, or burn things, or simply heat them up. I didn't show it off much though, if I didn't I wouldn't be exactly...... Welcomed.

The end of the day went by slowly of course. I grabbed my hoodie as always and walked through the crowd of people, as normal. I always wondered if I could possibly ever break from the crowd and be different. Living in an environment like mine, that would be extremely difficult.

Walking home, I saw all the other signs walking home, but I tried to ignore them. I bumped into somebody and I apologized profusely. Of course, I should be used to it , being the clumsy idiot I am, but it us still not polite. I look up to if it is anyone I know and take 3 steps back when I realize it is not. As a matter of fact, the tattoo on his arm tells me he is a Taurus. The bull sign, known for being stubborn. By the way he stood in my way I knew he was not going to move any time soon. So what did he want?