Bonus Chapter: Princes and Princesses

Miles ran around the house quickly and excitedly, peaking in each door to find his father. He rounded the corner at the very bottom of the stairs and ran straight into Gerard who was balancing on his arms and carrying in his hands several giant cans of paint. Miles barely missed slamming his nose into Gerard’s crotch by sliding on the ground and catching himself on the wall and Gerard’s legs a bit clumsily. The paint cans wobbled dangerously and Miles ducked his head down farther and covered his face while Gerard fumbled around and tried to find equilibrium once more.

Once everything was back in balance and no longer in danger of crushing Miles, Gerard looked down at him smiling carefully, “Whoa! Hey, Miles, what’s the rush?”

“I’m sorry, Daddy Gee. I really am, but I’m trying to find my dad. Have you seen him?”

Gerard cocked his head to the side thoughtfully, “The last I checked, he was in the kitchen making something for dinner. If he’s not in there, check his room.” Miles nodded and was about to take off again when Gerard spoke again, “When you see him tell him that I need to talk to him, oh, and don’t run this time, okay? I don’t want any accidents because I’d get paint all over the place and Frank would hate to clean it up.”

Gerard started laughing at the joke he made that Miles didn’t understand but then Bandit walked around the corner and rolled her eyes at her father, “I’m going to tell Frank you said that.”

Gerard stopped laughing and his eyes widened, “Please don’t. It was just a joke, sweetie.”

Miles slowly backed out of the hallway, Bandit’s voice trailing after him, “If anything, you’d be the one cleaning it up and Frank would stand there watching you with his arms crossed over this chest.”

Miles continued his search through the house and frowned when he got into the kitchen only to find it empty with a nice smell coming from the oven. The second door to the kitchen was open and Miles followed it back to the staircase where Gerard and Bandit were still playfully arguing with each other, “-last Wednesday!”

Gerard retorted loudly, “Yeah and if I hadn’t, Frank would’ve tackled me onto the ground or something.”

Miles was almost around the corner when he heard Bandit’s loud response, “I honestly don’t think you would’ve minded it that much.”

“Bandit!” Gerard exclaimed in surprise.

Suddenly, Miles heard a large crash that sounded like paint cans falling. It was confirmed when he heard Bandit laughing loudly like a hyena then Gerard’s familiar cursing mixed in with mumbling about a great product he saw at Home Depot a week ago that could remove the different colored paint from the white walls, and then Frank’s reaction when he sees the mess he made. Miles was about to go back and help with the paint when Cherry rounded the corner and looked at Miles wide eyed, “What was that noise?”

“Gerard dropped the paint cans onto the floor because Bandit said something about him and dad. Anyways, have you by any chance seen dad?”

Cherry looked up thoughtfully, “Uh, I think he’s in his room. I’m not sure though.”

Miles nodded, “Thanks!” before heading up the stairs quickly towards his father’s room.

When he reached his father’s room, he raised his hand to knock, trying not to think about the time last week when he forgot to knock and walked in only to catch his dad changing his clothes. It definitely hadn’t been the highlight of Miles’ week and he wasn’t looking for a repeat. He knocked carefully and sighed when there wasn’t an answer. He opened the door slowly to make sure and poked his head inside. The room was empty even if a little messy. Miles closed the door and came face to face with Lily when he turned around.