7

Adrian drifted in and out of a coma-like sleep. He heard Caroline's voice calling out to him but he wasn't sure whether it was coming from a dream or just beside him. He was confused by the images flashing through his mind. He dreamed of a gray-eyed man whom he called brother. As the pictures went by like a movie reel, the person's attire changed from the Civil War era to modern day.

The sense of time vanished as more dreams came up. He was dancing with a girl who looked exactly like Sophia but they were both wearing eighteenth-century clothing. At one point, the reflections changed into nightmares with blood soaking his hands and clothes. Lifeless eyes stared back at him. He felt tormented by the sufferings he had inflicted upon hundreds of souls.

He felt his heart aching. His breaths got erratic as he tried to pull himself out of the nightmarish dreams.

His vision blackened.

There was nothing but emptiness all around him but he still failed to wake up. Suddenly, a pinprick of a light appeared before him. It steadily grew larger until it threatened to blind him.

"Stefan!"

It was Caroline's voice. There was so much pain and anguish in it that he felt her hurt within his own soul. He wanted to comfort her but she seemed to be calling for someone called Stefan. Surprisingly, he felt no jealousy or anger. It felt like she was calling for him.

What's in a name? the phrase struck him in his dazed mind.

"Wait for me, Caroline." He barely heard his own voice. His throat felt parched as he tried to swallow. Suddenly he felt a cold hand on his face. "Caroline." His eyes flew open.

It took a few seconds for his eyes to get adjusted to the dimness of the room. As he blinked, the surroundings slowly started coming into sharper focus. A dark shape was hovering over him.

"Caroline?"

Someone blew a wet raspberry. "Why would that cow be here?"

It was Sophia's callous voice. Adrian sat up in bed. He couldn't even remember how he had gotten back to his room in the Salvatore House. The last memory he could remember was being with Caroline in a corridor of the local high school. He turned towards the window and saw it was dark outside.

"How long was I out?" he asked.

"A couple of hours. Caroline brought you here. Did she give you something funny?"

Adrian shook his head. "Of course, not! She's not that kind of a girl."

"How would you know?" asked Sophia, coming to sit beside him and leaning against the pillow. "You've known for like a day or something."

"I still know. Besides, I think it was my own head. A couple of boys beat the shit out of me few nights back. I don't have any visible injuries...which is bizarre in itself but I am pretty sure they hit me in the head. That is probably why I blacked out."

"What? When did that happen? You didn't tell me." Sophia looked curious and he could see the hurt coming into her dark eyes.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. Didn't want to worry you over nothing."

"Is that when you met Caroline? You were trying to be a knight-in-shining-armor for her?"

"Yes. But like I said, I was fine the next day. No sign of injury."

Sophia looked thoughtful. "Are you sure about that? You had injuries?"

Adrian nodded. "I remember my whole body hurting. They had even bashed my face. I had passed out from all the beating. Don't remember a thing that happened afterward. Just woke up in this room."

"Where did this incident happen?"

"The old cemetery near the woods."

"Did you know vampires can do stuff like this?"

Adrian chuckled. "What? They would heal me instead of sucking me dry?"

Sophia frowned. "They live among regular people. I'm sure they don't attack every person that crosses their path."

"Yeah, right! Did Saltzman tell you that? Does he have proof for all that nonsense? Do you?"

"Mock me all you want. When I turn into a vampire, you're going to be the first one I am coming for." She slipped her hand on his chest and looked up at him. Adrian wanted to believe she was kidding but the sultry look in her eyes said otherwise.

"Enough, Sophia," he said, catching hold of her hand as it was snaking below his navel.

"C'mon, Adrian," she whispered, coming closer to lean into him.

Adrian felt uncomfortable. He had been intimate with her before. This was not a new territory for them but the thought of Caroline made him feel like it was terribly wrong. His mind argued against him. He barely knew her. They didn't even complete one date. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have some fun with his hot friend who was willingly offering herself.

Sophia got on top of him, straddling his waist. She leaned down to kiss him, letting the ends of her long, dark hair brush against his chest. He closed his eyes. To his surprise, Caroline's face floated in his mind. His heart was set on her. He wanted her to be the one kissing him.

"Stop!" he bit out as soon as he felt Sophia's lip brush against his. Opening his eyes, he threw her off him and jumped off the bed.

"What the hell?!" cried Sophia.

"I don't feel that way for you anymore. That's the truth," admitted Adrian.

Sophia scoffed. "What does it have to do with feelings?"

"Go to your own room."

"It's all because of her, isn't it?" There was a cold light in the dark depths of her eyes. It left Adrian with an uneasy feeling.

"Just go," he said. He was suddenly afraid of letting Sophia know his true feelings. She always had a vicious side to her and could easily hurt Caroline without a second thought. "I am tired. Maybe that's the reason I'm being cranky."

She looked unconvinced but climbed off the bed.

When she left, Adrian fell back to his thoughts. His dreams remained intact as he recalled each of them. He didn't understand any of it but he knew something in Mystic Falls was triggering it. The feelings of déjà vu were getting stronger every day since he had first arrived. Deciding to talk to Caroline and Professor Saltzman the next day, he went back to lie down.

To his dismay, the moment he dozed off, the strange dreams came back to haunt him.