Chapter 1

1

“Oh General Cecelia?” I turn at the sound of my name, only to be greeted by the maniacal expression created by Devin’s upturned grin. Devin. Emperor Litek’s Second General. His forehead is long and creased, his eyebrows sit high upon it, and so this toothless smile makes his face appear stretched and unnatural. I shudder silently at his proximity to me. 

“Devin?” 

“Our esteemed Emperor requests your divine presence in his suite, Cecelia.” The way he pronounces my name always freaks me the heck out. He half imitates a bow before suddenly erupting into a spasm of laughter, clutching his stomach and doubling into himself. His hunched shoulders and wide mouth add to his grotesque appearance, and I quickly turn back to my men, Division Two, sickened by the sight of his writhing insanity.

“If Emperor Litek wished to see me, Devin, he’d summon me directly. Now, if you don’t mind, I’m in the middle of training.” 

I confess, I wasn’t exactly absorbed in overseeing Division Two’s training before this interruption. They complete their stamina regime before I command any interesting sessions, and it’s dull work watching my men pace backwards and forwards for more than an hour every day. Feigning nonchalance is usually the only defence against Devin’s madness though - any display of emotion only ever encourages him - but today even my disinterest spurs him on and soon all I can hear over Division Two’s grunts and groans is cackling. Shrill and sharp. Incessant and aggravating.

“Devin,” I start, obviously frustrated now, but my impending admonition is stopped by the sound of a group of approaching footsteps. Metal on metal. Perfectly synchronised. Androids. Only Emperor Litek himself commands androids.

In no time at all a group of around twelve k-19s, the most advanced androids the Empiric State can boast, march into view, assembling in a neat square around me. 

“General Cecelia,” twelve automated voices say in unison. “Emperor Litek requests your presence in the Presidential Suite. We will escort you.”

A fresh eruption of laughter startles me, as Devin actually falls over himself in his maddening hysteria. He makes no attempt to rise, but instead lays, squirming on the floor, still cackling. 

I watch him, mad with defeat. I felt sure this buffoon was just teasing me when he spoke of a summons, and I only grow angrier thinking that he knew of it first, and most likely knows the reason behind it as well. I hate being the Emperor’s number three. Outranked by this idiot and Litek’s sulky son. 

“We will escort you.” The k-19s repeat, each stamping a metallic foot in unison. 

By this time the whole of Division Two have quietened, stopped their training, and have gathered below the general’s raised dais, craning for a chance to watch this scene unfold. 

“Back to work,” I bellow with all the anger that Devin’s incited within me. They scurry like frightened rats back to their positions on the training floor below, quickly continuing their unremitting laps. Satisfied my authority’s been re-asserted, I finally acknowledge the twenty-four expressionless eyes staring at me. 

“Lead on.”

I’m frogmarched down the long, metallic corridor leading away from Division Two’s training centre and into an elevator bound for ground zero of the Litek Building. The open expanse should be dead at this hour, with all soldiers in training and all scientists at work, yet I still feel an array of eager eyes burning upon me when the elevator doors ping open, followed by hushed voices murmuring my name. 

“That’s General Cecelia.”

“They’re k-19s.”

“Why is the General being forcibly detained?”