Wings

"Did you find her?" Namjoon asked the sky. His eyes scanned the stars, searching for a familiar shape; the curve of wings emerging from her shoulders across the sky. 

He unrolled his maps onto the grass. The paper was darkened with age and with the stains of early morning dew. The creases were set from repeated folding and unfolding. 

Namjoon traced his pencil over the stars he had already mapped, losing his place a few times as the world shifted too quickly for him to keep up on this particular night. 

"Namjoon?" a voice cut through the night. 

He looked up and saw you. You stood there awkwardly, only in your night dress and a pair of leather shoes you stood before the older boy. His scanned your body, wondering why on Earth you had followed him to the outskirts of the village. Was it some sort of early teenage prank? 

You stuttered over your words, as you told him of your grandmother's death and how she had wanted to become a star. You used your arms to protect yourself from the cold. 

Namjoon had weathered more than enough cold nights that he always brought a wool blanket with him. He unrolled it and handed it to you.

"Let's see if there's anything new in the sky."

Namjoon scanned over the night sky, coming across a place that had previously just been blank, dark space. There now was a small configuration of stars in the shape of an Iris.

Your face lit up when you told him; your eyes resembling the stars above him and your smile was the shining crescent moon. In that moment you remind him of her. His Iris. 

xXx

Namjoon clambered along the dirt path carrying the telescope in both of his hands. It clanked and rattled with each of his uneven footsteps over the path. 

"Hurry up, Namjoon!" she called, from somewhere up ahead. 

She carried all the maps in her hands. The ones her grandfather had begun and that her and Namjoon set out to finish. Nobody had ever mapped the heavens before and they intended to do just that. 

Namjoon eventually caught up to the girl. He eyes were star as they flicked to him, lighting up all the darkness that lay inside him. He set the telescope on the grass and adjusted it's legs, securing it. 

Iris crouched and put her eye to the apparatus and slowly swung it across the sky until she found what she was looking for. 

"There he is," she said, her voice lowering. "Pluto."

She moved from the telescope and motioned for Namjoon to look. He pressed his right eye to the cool metal and blinked a few times, allowing his vision to adjust against the glass.

"Look closely," she said. Iris moved closer to him, her warmth enveloping him on the warm night. "He won't look much bigger than a regular star, but his shine will look more like a diamond in the sky."

Namjoon eventually spotted him in the sky, just barely visible among the rest of the stars. He pulled away from the telescope, the expanse of sky where Pluto lay looking black to the eye.

"I wish we could see Eris," Iris said. "He always keeps her well hidden." The girl paused as she laid back on her back. "She's bigger than him, you know? But, he was discovered first. Pluto wanted her beauty all to himself."