Adventuring Party of Two

"Don't tell me. You stayed up all night questing again."

I lift my head off the lunch table and glare at Jess. She rolls her eyes and sets her tray down.

I groan. "Jess. We're supposed to be friends. Friends don't judge one another."

Jess takes a bite of fry, looking solemn. Then turns in the chair to face me. Placing a hand on my shoulder she says, "Hailee, friends don't let friends play MMOs with douchebag football players, either."

I push away her hand and sit up. "Come on, Jess. That's not fair. You don't even know him."

"I do know him. I've been in like three classes with him."

I sigh. "Ok, well, you've never actually talked to him." I take some fries from her tray. "Friend Tax."

She smiles and plucks a Sourpatch Kid from in front of me. "Oh yeah, I've yet to collect."

We laugh and I look out at the cafeteria. My eyes snag on Caleb.

And now I'm staring at him.

And he's staring at me.

He smiles, a small secret smile just for me. And then Tyler, one of his friends from football, nudges him and he looks away. Their whole group laughs at something.

I bite my lip and put my head on the table.

This is how it is. We've been talking through the game for a month, but we hardly talk at school. In person. 

The thought of it knots my stomach. I've told him some pretty personal stuff. But then again, he's told me some personal stuff too.

I turn my head and look at Caleb through my hair. He's walking over to the trash cans with Tyler and Madison, getting ready to go. Madison is talking, hands moving. They start towards the doors when Caleb turns to look at me. He gives me another tiny smile and lifts a hand in a kind of half-wave.

"You have got to be joking," Jess says.

I flush when I realize she's been watching this whole time.

"Hailee, he won't even leave his stupid friends to come talk to you."

I shrug. "I didn't go talk to him."

"Yeah, well." Jess stands. I stand too and sling my bag over my shoulder. "Can't blame you for that. Those guys are the worst," she says.

I agree half-heartedly and we walk out of the cafeteria together.

And stop.

Caleb is standing there. Alone. I look past him and see his friends walking down the hall, Madison looking over her shoulder. She looks confused. I'm confused.

"Hi," he says, his hands in his pockets.

"Um, hi," is all I can manage. I feel my face burn.

Jess scoffs. "You guys are ridiculous." She turns and walks down the hall. "Have fun," she calls back.

We look at each other in silence. Now he's blushing too. And when the bell rings we both jump. And then laugh.

"So," he says, "do you want to walk with me?"

I smile. "Quest accepted."