Chapter One

·Couffaine's Houseboat·

It all started on a boat.

Marinette had no idea how crazy her life was about to get when she first stepped onto the Couffaine's houseboat. The "Paris Music Festival" would start that evening, and her friends would be performing. Before she took three steps, a set of arms wrapped tightly around her.

"Hey girl!"

"Hey, Alya!" Marinette replied as she returned her hug with a grin.

When Alya released her, Marinette took her first real look around, waving at all of her friends. The boat was big, but since Juleka's family lived inside, it made sense. However, what she couldn't understand was why there was clutter everywhere.

Doesn't anyone ever clean up around here?

"Are you excited, Marinette?" Alya asked.

Marinette turned her attention back to her best friend. "Of course, they have worked so hard! I don't see Adrien. Is he here?"

"He hasn't arrived yet."

Marinette stopped smiling. She wanted to spend time with Adrien, but it seemed like every time they tried, something came up or he couldn't come. She was worried Adrien wouldn't show, but she tried not to let it ruin her mood. Her smile returned as she continued to look around. Juleka exited the interior of the boat carrying a guitar.

"Hey, Juleka!" Marinette called out to her.

"Hey, you made it. Thanks for coming." Juleka sounded a bit surprised as she approached them.

"I wouldn't miss this. It's gonna be awesome!"

Juleka gave her a grin before she took off to practice for the show. While Marinette had been distracted, Alya had wandered away to help Nino set up. She glanced around and decided to start picking things up.

We wouldn't want someone getting hurt.

Before long, Marinette had managed to mostly clear a path and had a box full of random clutter. She noticed Rose wandering around with a microphone stand, clearly looking for something. She suddenly remembered putting a microphone into the box. She shifted a few things around and pulled it out.

"I think this is what you're looking for," she said as she held out the mic to Rose.

"It is! Thank you!" Rose squealed.

"No problem."

Marinette continued to pick things up but couldn't stop thinking about Adrien. She wondered why he hadn't arrived yet. When her curiosity got the better of her, she made her way over to Alya.

"Alya," Marinette said as she nudged her with an elbow. "Can you ask Nino about Adrien?"

"Sure, girl. Nino!" She called to him with a grin, "Heard anything from Adrien?"

Nino glanced down at Alya and flashed her a look of silent understanding when he saw Marinette next to her. "Yeah, he's coming later. He's currently doing something with his dad."

Marinette relaxed, even if only a little.

"What ya doing, young lady?"

Marinette was caught off guard and jumped at the sudden presence next to her. She turned towards the voice. "I was, um, cleaning up," Marinette replied, making the connection that she must be Juleka's mom.

"Cleaning! Have ya lost yer mind? We never clean aboard this ship!" She took the box from Marinette and dumped it on the deck. "We like the lived-in look. Didn't my daughter tell ya that?"

Marinette simply shook her head in reply, a bit confused.

"What's your name, darlin'?" she inquired.

"Marinette, ma'am."

"Well, Marinette, since you don't currently have anything to do, why don't ya go tell Luka to come on deck?"

"Who's Luka?" Marinette asked, even more confused.

Juleka's mom chuckled, "Luka's my son. He's below deck. You'll find him in his cabin."

"Okay," Marinette replied.

She headed for the door she had seen Juleka come out of earlier and made her way down the stairs. Her mind cleared as she looked for Luka's room, and she almost forgot about Adrien. She wandered into a room deep in thought - Luka sat inside. Marinette was startled when she realized he was there. After a moment, she realized he was meditating and hadn't seen her enter. She didn't want to interrupt so she stood silently trying to decide what to do.

Should I just say something, or should I wait?

As she stood thinking, she noticed he had a guitar pick in his hand. Next, she looked up at his face.

He's rather handsome.

Marinette was staring at him when he opened his eyes. She panicked, "Hey, my name is Ma-Ma-Marinette. Your mom sent me down here. The groove, the group's waiting for you."

"Hello, Ma-Ma-Marinette," Luka replied before he chuckled.

Marinette frowned and sighed. She could tell that he was teasing but it still bothered her that he pointed out her flustered stutter. When Luka made eye contact with her again, his expression immediately turned to regret.

"Sorry, I tend to make more sense with this."

She watched as Luka picked up his guitar. He lifted the guitar strap over his head and ran his pick over a few of the strings. He then looked back up at her and patted the bed. Marinette hesitated for a moment before she took a seat next to him.

"That's strange. It seems you have something like this in your heart."

Luka closed his eyes as he strummed a few gentle chords, and then glanced at Marinette for another moment. Marinette was shocked by how calming the tune was. She felt as if her anxieties had been washed away as he continued. Her mind calmed and she completely forgot about how Adrien wasn't coming.

"How do you do that?"

"Music is often simpler than words."

Marinette didn't reply as she got up and moved towards his guitar pick display. When she noticed one with Jagged Stone's face on it, she reached out and picked it up for a closer look. "You like Jagged Stone's music." Her comment came out as more of a statement than a question.

"He's my favorite singer," he replied. Luka climbed off the bed and joined her as she looked at the poster he had on his wall.

"Mine too." Marinette found herself flustered by their close proximity, and nearly dropped the guitar pick. Her anxiety returned quickly as she fumbled and finally secured the pick.

"You can have it if you like. I've got plenty."

Marinette was shocked. Luka had only just met her and was already offering her a gift. "Oh, thanks," Marinette gave him a genuine smile.

"I think I better go and join the 'groove,' you said."

Marinette felt completely embarrassed. "Did I really say that?"

He must think I'm a complete dork.

Before she could freak out anymore Luka said, "you're a funny girl, Marinette."

She gazed after him as Luka left the room. She was grateful that Luka didn't seem to mind her awkwardness. After a moment, she placed the guitar pick in her bag and hurried after him. She'd only been a minute behind Luka when she took a seat next to Alya. Marinette had a smile on her face she wasn't aware she was wearing.

"I think someone's got a new crush."

Marinette turned to Alya and realized she meant her.

"What?! Luka? No way. You're being ridiculous. Sure, he's nice and cool and everything but everyone only has one soulmate. Right?"

Before Alya could argue with Marinette, Mylène handed the pair a set of earplugs to use while the band practiced. Once the band had finished playing all the songs, everyone took out their earplugs. They mingled and enjoyed each other's company while they waited for the concert to start. Marinette even overheard Luka call her amazing.