Scales.

-When you meet your soulmate, you grow your own unique, fantastical body part (hooves, antlers, feathers, etc). At that point, no one (including you) can see it. But once you and your soulmate gain a mutual interest, everyone's- and your own- wondrous quirks become visible to you.  You have finally been able to see your (insert peculiarity). But you don't know how you got them, because your SM has an incredibly discreet one that you simply have never noticed.-

Sweet Pea wasn't the guy to really love in a romantic way, he had his friends and family with the Serpents and that was all fine with him.  But lately he started getting more and more annoyed by all the lovey-dovey couples around him, all talking about how everyone looked so good with their newly developed traits.
Toni couldn't shut up about how good Cheryl looked with the fox ears and tail and how well it fit her being the leader of the Riverdale Vixens. She herself had brightly colored feathers coming out from beneath her hair. At least that's what she and some others said, he couldn't see anything.

You were secretly a little obsessed with the whole idea of soulmates and being able to see all those beautiful features on otherwise normal people. It was like a whole new world opened up and you were eager to discover this new world.
Since you still hadn't found your soulmate you had to make do with all the photo edits people made on Instagram and read the stories of how people saw it all for the first time.
You knew your mom had tiny antlers and your dad had a dog-like tail and you couldn't wait to see it for yourself instead of editing pictures to see how it would look. They even gave you detailed descriptions so you could get them as accurate as possible.
You started working at Pop's, a nice place where you'd be in contact with so many people that you just had to find your soulmate there, right?

- - - -

When the schools merged you tried your best to just keep doing things like you used to but with all the other things going on in the town it was just impossible. But between all the awful drama, there were also good things happening. Multiple people had found their soulmates, the most surprising one being Cheryl, who found a girl from the South side.
You never paid extra attention to the South side students and treated them like you treated any other student. This meant they left you alone as well. You had to admit there was one guy with them that was kinda cute, in a bad ass kinda intimidating sort of way, but no way you were telling anyone.

You saw so many couples in the booths at Pop's, hearing almost all of them talking about how beautiful the other looked with their newly developed features and every time you wished you could see them. The blonde River Vixen girl had small fluffy wings and the Bulldog guy had cat eyes, or so you heard.
You were sad, your world felt so boring compared to everyone else's. Of course you knew that wasn't true, everyone saw the world like you did, some just found their soulmate earlier than others.

You were in English class and the teacher explained the details of the project for this semester. You were going to be working in teams of two and to make sure the class would learn to get along better after some less nice events, the teams were going to be one Riverdale High student and one South side High student. Luckily no big fights happened during the making of the teams, and even better was the fact that you were paired up with Sweet Pea.

After school you went straight to Pop's for work, it was a busy day and you agreed to help since your coworker had called in sick this morning.
You worked your ass off during the day and you were happy the amount of customers died down after a while. Later in the evening a group of Serpents came in, they always came here when there were barely any others. Normally it was some older Serpents picking up large orders and leaving again but this time it was a group of younger ones getting into a booth and staying.
After finishing their food and drinks they stayed for a while just talking and laughing. While the others got ready to leave, Sweet Pea walked up to the counter to pay and the smile on his face was too adorable and he was way nicer than some of the other guests you had over the weeks you worked there.
You didn't talk much more, jut said your goodbyes and didn't